Smith And Wesson Forums banner

ARE YOU PLANNING ON BUYING THE SHIELD?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
In the flooded subcompact 9mm market it's gonna be a crap shoot as to whether or not it's a success.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,525 Posts
No.

I'm a 1911 guy. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,321 Posts
BobK,
the ultra lightweight S&W revolvers are no fun to shoot at all. they are strictly utilitarian. I have one, and it's brutal on my hands shooting standard .357 magnum 158 Gr. JHP ammo. After 6 rounds I was more than done with it. It's been in the safe eve since and will remain there for a while I'll bet. It's really pretty to look at, but much like Zsa Zsa, pure hell to handle.
I've learned my lesson. Standard weight or heavy weight revolvers and pistols for me. I consider the Shield to be a standard weight compact pistol. The steel slide and guide rod brings the weight up to a manageable level.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
19,628 Posts
Thanks Greg! I agree with you that all steel revolvers are the best shooting........but, I'd like to add one for pocket carry in the summer. The old M-36 seems light (20 oz.), but with 5 cartridges in it, more like 25 oz.. While this is fine when carried in a belt holster, it seems bulky, and heavy when in a front pocket. Even if you wear baggy shorts! But, one side is heavier than the other. Weird. But that's not my style.

But, even then, you'll notice the right side (Right Handed) droops lower with the extra weight. Perhaps I should get a light .380 for pocket carry. (I've always tought of it as a fad, for James Bond wantabees) I've followed the .38/9mm minimum rule about needed power, but perhaps I need to reconsider.

Pocket carry is limited to summer, with light clothes, and less concealment available. I guess you have to compromise a BIT...... Maybe I should even consider the M-317 super light .22 revolver . Not much there, power wise, but.....it's better than nothin'! Or I could just wear the IWB wIth the M-36.......as I have been doing ( and notworrying about it........ in the past. ) Bob

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
I've learned to "never say never", so my thoughtful answer is, "probably not".........I said "no".

I'm primarily a wheel gunner with 1911 inclinations.............Yeah, I play with various semi autos, but a Shield just isn't on my short list.

Regards All,

Geezer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a series of handguns, half of which are 22's. I have yet to purchase a striker fired semi-auto, so I'm in the market. Looking very closely at the M&P after firing a full-sized one at the range. Initially I was drawn to Kahr's CW series but they are small in my hand. Beretta's Nano seems like a good option but it has FTE problems in some. Bersa has an interesting offering in the BP9. We'll see...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an M&P 45c which is my favorite. Outstanding quality. I do intend to get the Shield in 40 cal. I have a Kahr PM9 as my current EDC. The Shield may replace it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its was a good day Friday, beats any happy hour.
I just got a new Shield 9mm on Friday, along with a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 9mm.
I went to the range on Sunday, and fired off 300 rounds, and I have to say I have nothing but great postive things to say about both weapons.
The Shield will be my new carry weapon once my holster gets here.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have a Kel Tec 3AT that's never hiccuped, and very happily sold it's older brother recently, a KT PF9. The PF9 was nothing but a jam-o-matic even after KT sent me a new extractor pin. After the PF9 experience, there is simply no way I can ever trust a semi- again for carry. ( Only exception would be my G19 that has also never had a problem, but just don't carry that large a weapon.) Recently bought the Ruger LCR in 38 for front pocket carry, and I much prefer front pocket, and this is the ONE! The rubber grip and trigger makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have a Kel Tec 3AT that's never hiccuped, and very happily sold it's older brother recently, a KT PF9. The PF9 was nothing but a jam-o-matic even after KT sent me a new extractor pin. After the PF9 experience, there is simply no way I can ever trust a semi- again for carry. ( Only exception would be my G19 that has also never had a problem, but just don't carry that large a weapon.) Recently bought the Ruger LCR in 38 for front pocket carry, and I much prefer front pocket, and this is the ONE! The rubber grip and trigger makes all the difference in the world.
Do you know what forum this is ?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The poll asked if I had plans to buy the shield, I answered 'no'. If it shows up on my local pusher's corner at a decent price, all bets are off!

·
Registered
19,628 Posts
Let it get all the bugs out first. I never buy a new gun until it proves itself to be good. Usually, 6-12 months. Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought 9mm shield about a month ago and just love it. It's been 100% reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. The recoil is very manageable and I like the trigger, being used to Glocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the 9mm Shield on the Monday after they were introduced. I have had zero problems with it. I LOVE the trigger. I also like the manual safety. Same reliability as it's bigger M&P brothers. I have the M&P 9c and the little bodyguard. All 3 are stone cold trustworthy. I also have the 15-22 M&P. It could be said that I like S&W weapons. :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts