Smith And Wesson Forums banner

ARE YOU PLANNING ON BUYING THE SHIELD?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The SHEILD is without a doubt a huge hit! So far, I haven't seen a single comment in a negative tone about it.
Quality seems to be outstanding. We have many members that have alredy purchased one and run it thru it's paces and it's so far been flawless in every comment and compliment. Reading the other major gun forums the response is all the same. they knocked this one out of the ballpark. It's a hit, and S&W will have many, many more regular customers after buying this one.

It seems S&W learned well from the start they had with the Bodyguard 380.
This is still pretty much little more than an M&P in a compact carry size. the design cues are all the same.
As soon as I get done buying the few other wheelguns I need in my collection, the Sheild will be on the short list for my next CCW pistol.

Once again,
Welcome to the forum!

Gearchecker

·
Registered
731 Posts
I was a no vote. The only reason I will never buy the shield is because it is too small for me to have a practical use for it. I don't have a carry permit, and with my job, I don't plan on ever getting the permit.

My hands are really big (I wish a glock 17 was a little bit bigger, and I love N frames), so me holding a shield would probably look about as silly as me holding a little pink teacup while playing tea party with my niece. And yes, I do play tea party with my niece, but I'm banking on her outgrowing that phase soon!

It seems like it is a very reliable gun, just not something that fills a need that I have. If I planned on carrying, I would likely be singing a different tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the 9mm Shield on Monday, fired at the indoor range yesterday. I have been impressed with it, all the way. Quality gun, like the trigger pull, well made. I like the fact, it was announced and it was at the store to purchase. Good job Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I didn't know we had a poll section. Welcome to the forum MrColionNoir, good video!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Very good review, MrColionNoir.....I'll have to take a look at one tomorrow.

It seems much better than the Kimber "Solo" that came out last year.....

DocZeus
AKA
David

·
Super Moderator
34,436 Posts
That one is definitely on the list here but we already have the full sized M&P and love the pistol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The poll excluded those who already have one. I just had Trijicon HD night sights installed to day, and RCS Raven Concealment Systems posted
today that holsters and mag carriers are ready. So I have ordered both. Next will be full serrations for easier racking.

IMG_1182.jpg IMG_1165.jpg IMG_1168.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looked at one today. I'm sure it will be a hit, but it's not for me. I have an (unreasonable, I'm sure) fear of a loaded semi-auto in my front pocket near some of my more valued parts. I'll stick with a J frame. Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
It isn't a pocket gun. IWB's beautifully. Just disappears.

A member of MGF (michigangunforums.com) posted a you-Tube vid that proves the Shield definitely delivers. He was surprised how accurate at 30+ yds, and the rapid fire too.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
I just had the opportunity to watch the entire video.
Very well done. You should consider doing many more of these, if you haven't already.
I got to see the Sheild today over at Cabela's. Like all the M&P's the slide is very well made, the machining is perfect from what I could tell. It's all M&P without a doubt. I didn't realize that it has a Stainless guide rod. That was a very good point you made about the extra weight and that it is there. You don't find stainless rods on most pistols, not even on the $700 Walther PPS.

Thanks for the great job, and sharing your solid observations.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very happy shield owner

Semi-auto's 057.jpg Semi-auto's 058.jpg Semi-auto's 059.jpg

I was one of the lucky ones that picked a shield up last week. I was unaware ( I guess I live under a rock ) that Smith was coming out with a new gun. I just happened to go into my local gun store to get some ammo and I saw it there and bought it the second it hit my hand. I have been to the range a couple of times and LOVE this gun. To be fair, I am a big fan of the M&P lineup as a whole so its not too much of a surprise. Its kind of funny that they came out with this as I was really close to buying a Karh but did not like the long trigger pull. For those of you who have never shot a Karh PM9, the trigger pull is really, really long. I don't carry very often and I wanted a small gun. I have a G26 glock and in my opinion this is twice the gun of the glock for concealment purposes and you are only giving up 2 rounds going to the single stack - 2 rounds thats it. I agree with MrColionNoir on about 98% of what he said in the video, especially when you consider its made in the USA, has S&W's warranty / service and the very reasonable price point along with everything else. Personally I like the triggers on the M&P's and this one is the nicest one yet. Just my $0.02.

Just as a sidenote the shield comes with an accesory catalog with lots of choices from manufacturers you trust along with Part numbers and prices:
Blackhawk holsters
Crimson Trace
De Santis / Fobus / Galco
Laser Max
and more.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Very good review, MrColionNoir.....I'll have to take a look at one tomorrow.

It seems much better than the Kimber "Solo" that came out last year.....

DocZeus
AKA
David
I have a Solo. And a Sig 238. And a few J frames. Now it looks like I need one of these. When will this "need" stop?

BTW, there were so many problems with the Solo, it hasn't been fired since coming back from Kimber. "Only reliable guns are interesting guns if you plan staking your life on them"

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
The point is.....they made the Shield for the average person. One gun can not be suitable for everyone. If you've got big hands......you NEED a big gun! NO doubt about it! ;) For most people, it sounds pretty good, but I wonder how it compares with the Ruger LC9, and the Walther PPS. I noticed that all the semi-autos do weigh in at about the same as my all steel M-36 at 20 ounces. Load them, up with 8 rds.... and they weigh more than the M-36 with 5 rds.

The ideal lightweight still remains the Scandium S&W J frame revolvers......if that's what you want. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but, I know......my steel M-36 kicks pretty good with +P ammo. Just sayin'.....Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
From what I have heard you can't run the LC9 over 100+ rnds and not have a sore hand. You can easily fire the Shield comfortably all day because of the low recoil and nicer/typical M&P trigger (however, the Shield has a better stock trigger than the larger M&Ps)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The point is.....they made the Shield for the average person. One gun can not be suitable for everyone. If you've got big hands......you NEED a big gun! NO doubt about it! ;) For most people, it sounds pretty good, but I wonder how it compares with the Ruger LC9, and the Walther PPS. I noticed that all the semi-autos do weigh in at about the same as my all steel M-36 at 20 ounces. Load them, up with 8 rds.... and they weigh more than the M-36 with 5 rds.

The ideal lightweight still remains the Scandium S&W J frame revolvers......if that's what you want. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but, I know......my steel M-36 kicks pretty good with +P ammo. Just sayin'.....Bob
I am assuming you haven't shot the Shield? If so, even big hands can easily/correctly hold and fire the Shield because of the grip. It's contoured differently from the 9c, having a slightly longer grip. I would bet that few guys have bigger mitts than hickok45

M&P Shield - YouTube

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have handled the Shield. I have no feeling either way about it. I just prefer revolvers to auto's and yes I do own auto's. Colt 1917 auto, Colt Rail Gun, and the Colt Rail Gun in 22lr which is a blast to shoot. There are a lot of revolvers I would like to own more than another auto. Also I hate hunting for brass, as I am getting an RCBS reloader, so I am saving all my brass now.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I reckon I have no soul.
While I'm sure the Shield fills a niche, I reckon I'm not in it, as the gun holds no allure for me. My poly-gun needs are satisfied by a Glock 29 which gives me 10mm performance and that makes it a "go" for me.
I have an XD 9 for a truck gun (if it disappears for any reason, it's not a heart-breaker) and my "stylish" 9mm-esque requirements are well satisfied by an FN Hi-power or a Colts super 38 LTWT Commander. So, the Shield just isn't on my radar.

(stodgy,boring)Mike

Reactions: Tripmaker
1 - 20 of 51 Posts