Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants a Shield EZ Performance Center but she is worried about the sharp edges at the top of the beaver tail on the grip safety.
She had no issue shooting the non Peformance Center model.

Some have said file it down. However if you get the blacked out version, now you would have silver filed edges.
Others have said order the non PC grip safety and change it.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
"My wife wants a Shield EZ Performance Center" - Is that description for a different kind of EZ?

I shot my wife's 9mm EZ a couple of days ago (No thumb safety) and I noticed a couple of things not to my liking.

The recoil is heavy enough to require shooting gloves. It was kinda like catching a hard ball. Left me little delicate hand feeling pounded after only 50 or so rounds and the grip safety is something you must be observant of, because if you let up even slightly, it won't fire. Once, I became fully conscious of this, I gripped it without another failure to shoot, but you must remain conscious of always, firmly gripping the grip saftey or it won't go boom...

I'd put a Houge rubber grip on it...if I could to help dampen the recoil effect, but the grip safety design prevents me.

Plus, the grip safety blows...other than that, I like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The grip safety on the Performance Center EZ's (both 380 and 9mm) sticks out 1/4" when fully depressed. It has sharp edges and the top corner which would be totally out of the way has the safety been flush with the grip sticks out as a sharp pointy triangle absolutely preventing to achieve the correct grip. It digs into the shooters hand web and does not let the web to go all the way under the beavertail. Also with each recoil that corner hammers the shooters hand like a mid-evil torture instrument. I can't believe that S&W ruined the otherwise perfect handgun with one poorly thought through part. I opened a ticket with S&W asking to address this issue. They brushed me off. I emailed Tony Miele,
Senior Director of New Products and Smith & Wesson Performance Center ([email protected]). It seems that he is totally oblivious to this problem. I guess, until every owner suffering from the Performace Center EZ sharp-edged, not fully depressing, pointy grip safety starts emailing him explaining what it feels to actually shoot this "performance" gun the issue will never get addressed... Please let him know your experience. It is all a matter of feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An update. Just got an email from S&W customer support. They suggested having the gun returned to them so that they could replace the aluminum sharp-edged grip safety with a polymer rounded safety from a regular EZ (which also depresses almost flush). I, guess, I will give it a try and see how it works after that. Will post about this experience after I have the gun back...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my handgun back. They replaced the aluminum grip safety with a plastic one from a regular EZ! Problem solved! Now the grip is very comfortable and the gun performs flawlessly. Hope they come to their senses and change the design of the grip safety on the PC version from the factory...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my handgun back. They replaced the aluminum grip safety with a plastic one from a regular EZ! Problem solved! Now the grip is very comfortable and the gun performs flawlessly. Hope they come to their senses and change the design of the grip safety on the PC version from the factory...
Great news to know I can have the grip safety replaced with one that has rounded edges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been an instructor for 30 years, and work at an LGS one day a week. When the PC version arrived, I handled it and thought, "why would anyone pay more money for a less functional pistol"? The sharp edge of grip safety and lack of full depression were immediate no-gos. Doesn't matter what other fluff they put on it, the pistol would not be shootable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, that is great news. After dealing with quite rude customer service over this, I'm very happy they are offering this now. My wife will be thrilled.
How long did it take to get your gun back?
I spoke to customer service last week and I was told it would take approx 4 months to replace the grip safety. The service rep said Covid plus the recall has set them back. Plus he would not give me a quote. Not very encouraging ☹

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great to hear! Im looking to send mine in as well. Did you send in a black PC or one of the colored ones? I have a silver one and I want to keep the look and color the same but I guess ill have to sacrifice the look for comfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great to hear! Im looking to send mine in as well. Did you send in a black PC or one of the colored ones? I have a silver one and I want to keep the look and color the same but I guess ill have to sacrifice the look for comfort.
how long did it take to get grip safety replaced and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
eBay offers replacement grip safety in different colors. Mine is a gold one so I also wanted to keep the color. Anyone can replace it in less than 10 minutes. There are how to videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI - I reported the same issue in July 2020. I asked them to either remove the sharp edges or replace with a polymer grip safety. SW had me send it in and they removed the sharp edges, resurfaced the edge to match the color and returned it within 2 weeks. They were very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI - I reported the same issue in July 2020. I asked them to either remove the sharp edges or replace with a polymer grip safety. SW had me send it in and they removed the sharp edges, resurfaced the edge to match the color and returned it within 2 weeks. They were very helpful.
Thanks for the update. I will contact S&W to get them to remove the Sharpe edges as well.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts