Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a S&W Shield 380 EZ for my wife and she absolutely loves it. I kind of like it myself too. only problem is the mag release is so sensitive that it releases the mag while you are carrying it in a holster or concealed. How can we make the mag release stiffer so the mag doesn't fall out when we draw the gun?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I had the same problem with my EZ . The only good fix I could come up with was to reverse the mag release and then cut a relief in my holster for the button. I've brought this problem to the attention of folks on here. If you don't reverse the button , any slight pressure to the side of the gun will drop the mag. The problem is a poorly designed release with a button 3/32" proud of the grip frame. I like the gun but S&W dropped the ball there.
The 9mm EZ doesn't have this problem.

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
I saw this problem in one of the EZ pistols that a student brought to one of my CCH classes.

That gun completely jammed on the student's third attempt to fire it. We could not "unjam" it, so discharged the round in the chamber safely and sent the student back to the store for repair / replacement. We loaned them one of our own pistols for the duration of the class.

This handgun impresses me as having a number of either design or implementation problems, or both.

My overall recommendations is to stick to the full M&P line or the M&P Shield line.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I saw this problem in one of the EZ pistols that a student brought to one of my CCH classes.

That gun completely jammed on the student's third attempt to fire it. We could not "unjam" it, so discharged the round in the chamber safely and sent the student back to the store for repair / replacement. We loaned them one of our own pistols for the duration of the class.

This handgun impresses me as having a number of either design or implementation problems, or both.

My overall recommendations is to stick to the full M&P line or the M&P Shield line.
I have zero complaints about the function of the EZ as far as firing any type of ammunition I've tried. No jams of any kind. Even with the very low recoil ARX ammo. While the release problem is serious , it can be dealt with. It should have been fixed by S&W before production but I won't condemn the gun because of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my .380 PC EZ for a couple of months using it as my EDC. No problems with the mag release, in fact it feels reassuringly firm. I had to use a fine git sandpaper on the grip safety as it felt irritatingly rough but a couple of passes and all was fine. With Sig 90 gr it feels reassuring. Like this gun a lot and my partner likes her .380 EZ also.

paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my EZ . The only good fix I could come up with was to reverse the mag release and then cut a relief in my holster for the button. I've brought this problem to the attention of folks on here. If you don't reverse the button , any slight pressure to the side of the gun will drop the mag. The problem is a poorly designed release with a button 3/32" proud of the grip frame. I like the gun but S&W dropped the ball there.
The 9mm EZ doesn't have this problem.
How do you reverse the release?

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Our .380 EZ has been trouble free. Probably about 1K rounds through it so far.

It's not an EDC - yet - can't speak to the OP's issue, sorry.

Wife likes it 'cuz her little fingers can rack it easily. I like it as long as she likes it. It's small for my hands but I've learned to compensate.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How do you reverse the release?
Instructions on you tube in a couple places. It's quick and easy if you follow the directions.

Another idea if your mag release button gives you problems is to sand it down and make it not stick out so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our .380 EZ has been trouble free. Probably about 1K rounds through it so far.

It's not an EDC - yet - can't speak to the OP's issue, sorry.

Wife likes it 'cuz her little fingers can rack it easily. I like it as long as she likes it. It's small for my hands but I've learned to compensate.
Same here with both our 380 and 9ez. 9 has been carried a lot and no issues with mag release.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
You might do a close evaluation of your hostler and how you carry it. It might be a different holster and/or carry style will make the difference. I've not noticed any problems with a sensitive mag release button on my 380 EZ but then it could be that the gun you got is from a batch that was made just a "little" different than others. But if you haven't already, I'd do some close observation of the holster and carry position, particularly how you are taking it out of the holster if it is releasing as you take it out or how it sits in the holster if it releases while there. It may be your body is pushing against it if within the holster.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a S&W Shield 380 EZ for my wife and she absolutely loves it. I kind of like it myself too. only problem is the mag release is so sensitive that it releases the mag while you are carrying it in a holster or concealed. How can we make the mag release stiffer so the mag doesn't fall out when we draw the gun?
I am left handed and the 380 EZ ships with mag release positioned for a right handed shooter. When I was taking a Defensive Pistol class, 2 out of 3 times my grip, when drawing from holster, would release mag and fall to the ground - not good for self defense !! . I paid a gunsmith $25 to switch mag release to other side, so that mag release is next to body when in holster, avoiding my gripping fingers - problem solved in my case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts