Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of pure curiosity, I would be interested in the process of how S&W sets the sights on M&P ‘s at the factory. The three M&P’s I have seem to be quit accurately zero at 10 yards but I have to admit I’m not good enough of a shot to tell how precise they are set. Has anyone had to adjust their factory sights?

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Most factories don't sight in guns @ all, they have engineered them to where handgun sights should be close for most shooters @ 25 yards. Everyone's eyes are a bit different & sights need to be adjusted to work for the particular shooter anyway. For example I'm very far sighted & few people shoot to the same zero as me. Fixed sights are also regulated by the same methods & are close for most people (& require a bit of tinkering for me). I think there's probably about 1 new gun that didn't need adjusting for me.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I think they are just mechanically set to a certain position. Guns are fired to test function at the factory but I don't believe they are actually sighted in. S&W made over 1.3 million handguns last year. I don't see how it would be economically feasible to fire a few shots, check the target, make sight adjustments, fire a few shots to check the adjustment for that many handguns . . . then throw in a couple hundred thousand rifles to sight in. That being said, they generally are set up to shoot pretty close to where you want

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I don’t think they go to the extent of sighting in by firing them. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of bore sighter, probably done by a robot ��.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine shoot left and a bit low too but resting on a sandbag they shoot pretty close to bullseye. In my case it’s a flinch I’m working out, not that this applies to you, just sayin’.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Left and low is common for a right handed shooter that is mashing the trigger instead of squeezing it. The effect is kind of magnified due to the narrow grip frame of the Shield. You might only be slightly mashing the trigger to the point that it wouldn't make much difference in a gun with a broader base anchored to your palm, but with the narrow Shield, its enough to throw the shot. Work on your grip and trigger control. Those are both things you can do at home. Something mistAking grip tape can help a little bit too. Bought a Shield in 2012, and it took quite a while to get where I shot it well. Something else that might help with low shots is going to a 124gr bullet, if you are currently shooting 115. My Shield always has shot better with 124 grain ammo

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have never given it any though really. I changed the sights on my M&P to fiber optic anyway so I guess it would not matter if the originals were factory tested. My Shield sights seem to be fine so I just point them at the target and pull the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts