Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that this pistol has issues with light primer strikes... I am interested in buying one but want something that is reliable... Any comments will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have one and carry it as a backup and “Church” gun. I have never had the problem of light strikes. I have a few hundred rounds through mine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine is also a backup and "summer shorts" gun, so it doesn't get fired all that often, but like Sharpshooter, I've never had an issue with light strikes.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I think that the 9mm Shield is a better and more reliable choice. I've had two students in classes that were unable to finish class using their Bodyguard due to mechanical problems in new pistols.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TS, perhaps S&W has since changed some things that caused the issues with the light primer strikes....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the 9mm Shield is a better and more reliable choice. I've had two students in classes that were unable to finish class using their Bodyguard due to mechanical problems in new pistols.
The reason that I want the bodyguard 380 is because of its small size... Specifically what were the mechanical issues?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Guns jammed up within 3 shots of being taken out new from the box. One so completely jammed that we could not rack the slide to eject the chambered round (which had to be fired to make the gun safe enough to transport to a gunsmith).

I don't know if it is a design problem, an assembly problem, a testing problem or damage done when the pistol was proofed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guns jammed up within 3 shots of being taken out new from the box. One so completely jammed that we could not rack the slide to eject the chambered round (which had to be fired to make the gun safe enough to transport to a gunsmith).

I don't know if it is a design problem, an assembly problem, a testing problem or damage done when the pistol was proofed.
I am not seeing much on the internet as you described... could have been a multitude of things creating that issue... including foreign made ammo, handloads etc..

Are you taking a look at the guns and ammo that your students are bringing before they are allowed on your training range?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Simply based on shooting my brothers bodyguard and my shield, I would much prefer the shield. only a little larger and much easier to shoot for me. Not to mention 9mm Vs. 380.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There's a significant difference in bulk between a Shield and a Bodyguard. Guns like the Bodyguard are for those times when even a Shield is too big, bulky and heavy.

Obviously, the Shield is a better choice if you know you're going to be in a gunfight, but the .380 in your pocket is better than the 9mm you left at home. ;)

And, Marshall didn't ask for opinions on which gun to buy. He asked about a specific issue with the Bodyguard.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
All I can tell you is what I personally observed at our range. The Ammo was US made factory assembled. Of course I inspect all student firearms before they use them. I would not recommend the .380 Bodyguard based on what I've observed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a significant difference in bulk between a Shield and a Bodyguard. Guns like the Bodyguard are for those times when even a Shield is too big, bulky and heavy.

Obviously, the Shield is a better choice if you know you're going to be in a gunfight, but the .380 in your pocket is better than the 9mm you left at home. ;)

And, Marshall didn't ask for opinions on which gun to buy. He asked about a specific issue with the Bodyguard.
I agree.... the one you have is better than the one left behind

·
Registered
41 Posts
"the one you have is better than the one you left" IF IT WORKS though, I'm in a lot of gun forums two are S&W forums, and on the S&W forums some members a notoriously rude, instead of been helpful, why is that ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can tell you is what I personally observed at our range. The Ammo was US made factory assembled. Of course I inspect all student firearms before they use them. I would not recommend the .380 Bodyguard based on what I've observed.
Is there a 380 of similar size that you do recommend?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Is there a 380 of similar size that you do recommend?
Ruger LCPII only .380 I've owned.

The Shield .380EZ looks like a nice gun. It might be too large of a frame for your application.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I don't recommend the .380 for self defense. My preference is for the 9mm Luger. I already mentioned the 9mm S&W Shield. Here's mine:

ShieldIn9mmPC.jpg

It's not S&W, but I also highly recommend HK's P30SK:

P30SK-V1LEM-Left-WEB1.jpg

When teaching, I always recommend selecting a firearm with a specific purpose in mind. The selection is based on requirements as well as fit and any number of preferences.

If you're looking for a basic compact semi-auto for concealed carry, you probably can't do better at the price than the 9mm Shield.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was hoping for more comments on the bodyguard 380... perhaps smith has solved the light primer strike issues with a stronger spring and/or an improved firing pin... Maybe it is a non-issue with the current production bodyguard

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm in a lot of gun forums two are S&W forums, and on the S&W forums some members a notoriously rude, instead of been helpful, why is that ?
You mean like people who pontificate on what they think the OP should buy, rather than answering a very specific question about a particular gun?

There's no question a 9mm is superior to .380 for defensive purposes, but that wasn't the question that was asked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mean like people who pontificate on what they think the OP should buy, rather than answering a very specific question about a particular gun?

There's no question a 9mm is superior to .380 for defensive purposes, but that wasn't the question that was asked.
Yes i understand that micro pistols (pocket carry 380s are by nature less reliable, have less stopping power than a 9mm but pocket carry is what i want... i currently own a Kahr P380 but want another pocket carry as well... I do like the feel of the bodyguard and its hammer fired feature

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was hoping for more comments on the bodyguard 380... perhaps smith has solved the light primer strike issues with a stronger spring and/or an improved firing pin... Maybe it is a non-issue with the current production bodyguard
Well, it seems you have a real want for the Body Guard to be a dependable weapon. Here you have people telling you it's a turd. It's not the only .380 out there. I'm not a brand specific guy when it comes to my life.

Is this your first carry gun? If you are hung up on one get it, and hopefully it will fulfill the mission you have in mind. Lots of members here much smarter than me that have offered you advise. You don't want to hear it. You want them to tell you what you want to hear.

You come to an S&W website full of S&W fanbois and they tell you "don't." That ought to tell you something. Sorry to be an *******, that's the way I am.

I carry my wallet in my front pocket. My LCPII is right behind it. It has several hundred rounds through it. No problems. I was convinced by a friend that it was a good weapon. He didn't lie. No stupid mag safety, no thumb safety.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts