Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just cleaned my M&P 9mm that I've had for a while. After cleaning and reassembly I noticed that when I lock the slide back the barrrel is loose in the gun and rattles when I shake it. I never noticed that when I've cleaned it before. Is this just the gun getting broken in? I've double checked and it seems that I've reassembled it correctly. Is this barrel looseness normal?

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
That is normal. When the slide is locked back the barrel is in a floating condition. In fact most Semiautomatics are designed that way. When the slide is in battery (fire position) the barrel is then supported at both ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought that this was normal, I just don't remember it being as loose as it is now. Maybe it is just because it has been fired enough now to loosen up some. I'm kinda new to this handgun stuff and still a bit unsure of how things go together, etc. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought an M & P 9mm Pro and am having the same issue. When securing the spring to the barrel it will seat into a circular notch. When I reassemble the gun and engage the catch the barrel is very loose. And each time I disassemble the gun the spring has slightly unseated from the circular notch. This happens every time?

The gun still fires but......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts