Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ive had a M&P 9 mm for a few months now and what can I say .... it sucks. I've put about 400 round through it and it sucks big time.

Sorry guys I want to be a fan boy ... but it shoots low.

I've given it to 4 different shooters to try and all of them agree that something is wrong with it.

And yes I've tested it with 115, 124 and 147 grain FMJ Winchester and federal ammo. I've taken to back to were I bought it, they called the importer (I'm in Australia - Sydney) and they've admitted that there is a problem, but wont do anything. I even called the importer directly to speak with their armour who also admits that there is a problem with the M&P 9's and has suggested that we change sights on it (for extra money).

The gun shop from were i bought it - Horsley Park Gun Shop in Sydney, even had the audacity to tell me that it a military weapon so its not meant to be accurate - ?????!!!! can you believe that BS. I told him mate i used to be in the military so dont tell me that its not meant to be accurate - he than stated that we should agree to disagree on that.

Any, any suggestions on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated and if anyone else has had similar issues.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Warranty repair for S&W
GRYCOL INTNL PTY LTD

344 BOTANY ROAD
2015 ALEXANDRIA
N.S.W., AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61-2-698-8725
Fax: 61-2-319-0732

GRYCOL INTNL PTY LTD.
30 EDGAR STREET
BOWEN HILLS
QUEENSLAND 4006, AUSTRALIA
Phone: 61-7-3252-8212
Fax: 61-7-3252-1515

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mate I've contacted Grycol and that's who has said that they can replace the rear sight for extra money - which may fix the problem .... Im really hoping that Horsley Park Gun Shop or Grycol will fix or replace their product before I have to start some sort of legal action and then internet and youtube action.

thanks for the reply.

But the kicker is that guy from Horsley Park Gun Shop that stated that 'its a military weapon so its not meant to be accurate' ... can you believe that crap.

·
Premium Member
17,522 Posts
Tell him it is a police weapon too and the police demands accuracy. Appeal to his literalism.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thats too bad i love my 9, it shoots 115's a little low but i know that it will but the 124 and 147 are better. I have been shooting iron type sights for so long that I have learned how and where to hold things. wish you luck on your troubles.

·
Premium Member
17,522 Posts
If it were mine with such options as there have been discussed, I would order an oem configuration sight and do some judicious shortening and trial firing, to bring things into alignment. a front sight top is a easy size to use a bit of cold blue on. If a mistake is made the sight could be replaced with the new one. S&W should do right by you, but if it looks like that isn't going to happen, this could be a cost effective alternative.

·
Registered
19,889 Posts
Heavier bullets generally shoot higher. Stick with whatever is best....124 or 147. They are made to shoot the heavier bullet. Try different ammo, should be your first step. ;) Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also am having a problem w it shooting low, however, I have noticed that this goes away if I shoot it one handed. I have a sig 22 which i shoot accurately, so I know i am getting a good sight picture. I explained this to a more experienced shooter who said when shooting low you are typically 'anticipating' the shot.

I have a compliant trigger, which doesn't always seem to pull clean, so this could be it.

I too am using 115 grain bulllets. I am looking to get a trigger mod if this I can prove that I am anticipating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If shooting low center it probally is how your pulling the trigger OR the general problem with the M&P pistol which is lateral movement on the pistol when pulling trigger. Apex tactical DCAEK might solve your issue. Look up Apex tactical on YOUTUBE, Randy shows in the installation video that movement in the pistol from the triiger pull.I have the same problem with a .40 with abou 650 rounds through it. Got a DCAEK but havn't had the time to install yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, Ive had a M&P 9 mm for a few months now and what can I say .... it sucks. I've put about 400 round through it and it sucks big time.

I've given it to 4 different shooters to try and all of them agree that something is wrong with it.

And yes I've tested it with 115, 124 and 147 grain FMJ Winchester and federal ammo. I've taken to back to were I bought it, they called the importer (I'm in Australia - Sydney) and they've admitted that there is a problem, but wont do anything. I even called the importer directly to speak with their armour who also admits that there is a problem with the M&P 9's and has suggested that we change sights on it (for extra money).

The gun shop from were i bought it - Horsley Park Gun Shop in Sydney, even had the audacity to tell me that it a military weapon so its not meant to be accurate - ?????!!!! can you believe that BS. I told him mate i used to be in the military so dont tell me that its not meant to be accurate - he than stated that we should agree to disagree on that.

Any, any suggestions on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated and if anyone else has had similar issues.
Its been almost 3 months now; has S&W fixed it,replaced it,or what????????? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which grip are you using? Small, Medium or Large? I shot wheel guns alot and when I got my M&P Pro 40 it shot low at first but I figured it out pretty quick. Trigger------- Much lighter trigger than DA guns so took a little getting used to. Now OK center mass no issue to 15 yards

·
Registered
1 Posts

My adventures with the M&P 9c to get it to shoot straight.

Background:
New handgun shooter. Been shooting 100-200 rounds once a week for 9 months. First gun Springfield 1911 Range Officer in 9mm. Can consistency put 5 in a 3 inch circle at 7 yards and 10 in a 6 inch circle at 10 yards. I open up after that.

Problem: Bought an M&P 9c for carry. Shoots 2 inches low left with a 6 o'clock hold

1. Started out with Winchester White Box 115 gr. My Springfield Range Officer shoots it great. With the M&P a lot of failures to feed and hang ups. Gun shoots fairly good groups but 1 to 2 inches low and 1 inch left.

2. Thinking it is me, I did a lot of dry fire practice and put it on a rest. Groups tightened up, but still low and left.

3. Tried different ammo, all 115 gr. Nothing shot better groups but the hang ups ended. Conclusion: Can't use Winchester White Box.

4. The only way to hit a bullseye was to cover it up on aim...the supposed "combat" point of aim. Not acceptable.

5. Thinking the sight was too high I took a Dremel tool and ground off half the front sight, put a white dot on it with nail polish. It now shoots at bullseye level but only by cutting the bull in half aim point. Still not happy. I want a 6 o'clock aim.
Conclusion: I need a shorter front sight.

6. I buy the shortest front sight I can find from Dawson Precision (.125) and install. I also start playing with 124 gr. ammo. Hoping for a higher impact. Viola! 6 o'clock hold, even with bull, nice groups. Still shooting left. Best ammo: Aguila 124 gr. FMJ.

7. Move front sight to the right. (Which of course is wrong)
Conclusion: I'm an idiot.

8. Move the front sight to the left. Also experimented with using more trigger finger. I'm now all the way over to the first crease. Better. Gee, that only took 3 months.

9. Now I know what you're thinking...what about that crappy trigger? Well my gun was built in 2015 so I got one of the improved models, but it still has a lot of travel. I am looking at the Apex aluminum kit...could be my next adventure.

Conclusion: I've spent enough time and money on this thing already. Should have spent another 400 bucks and bought a compact 1911. But hindsight is 20/20. I'm stubborn and will practice a lot and make this work. That's supposed to be the fun part, right?
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,522 Posts
Well, if the pistol still holds enough appeal for you to make it perform as you want it to, I would say you are doing just fine. If not, trust your good judgement.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your goal is Olympic target accuracy, I'd say the adventure continues.
OTOH, if I'm getting a target like( is that a 6??) that at 7yds, (rapid fire ), for self defense/combat shooting, I'd be as happy as a pig in poop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I own a M&P 40
I hated the trigger on it and way it shot at first, but I really liked the way it felt in my hand. I decided to invest a little more money and installed a APEX Tactical trigger in it. It is now one of my favorite guns to shoot and it is very accurate. I wanted to be able to shoot it even more (Cheaper), so I bought a Storm Lake 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and the factory S&W M&P 9mm magazines. After taking it out to the range I found that it is shooting very low and left. I contacted Storm Lake and they are going to either correct the barrel or send me a new one. I can't wait because I love shooting this just as much as my HK VP9. That said and I'm not trying to insult your shooting abilities. I would suggest taking it back out to the range and try shooting it from a bench with a rest. I personally think the trigger on these things are horrendous and very different than any other weapon and because of this it might be the trigger and the way you squeeze it that is causing it to shot low. I can't say enough about the improvement the APEX Tactical trigger made for me.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Shooting well w/ a pistol has as much to do w/ technique as anything. A good trigger helps a lot but so does proper hold, fit, steadiness, etc..

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I had a Bud that had the same problem, he shot 147 gr bullets, and used the 6 o'clock hold and it shot alot better. Sadly, he traded it for a Glock 17 and Peace returned to Happyville. I never had good luck with M&P's. For me, Sig ain't much better, I don't like the trigger on a Sig. Glock is MY go to gun. It's SA first pull of the trigger is like my 1911. Try one, It can't hurt? JMO fwiw

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
First off how are you shooting the gun. If you are going to test accuracy you need to do it from a rest and take as much of the human element out of it as you can.. Shoot the gun from a rest at 25 meters. See how it shoots. Have some one else shoot the gun on a different target from a rest to verify. Once you know how low its shooting exactally then you can order the new rear or front site to compensate for the adjustment needed. Most NOT ALL combat pistols with fixed sites will shoot low. From the group you posted with the magazines and gun I saw nothing that i would consider out of normal combat accuracy. REMEMBER that the M&P guns are NOT TARGET Pistols. . After you use a rest and shoot a group re-post here and we will see what you may need ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts