Smith And Wesson Forums banner

M&P 9 at the Range

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Bud Rickett 
#1 ·
I took my new M&P 9 out to the range yesterday to check it out. I have a 1,000 round case of Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ ammo for practice. I purchased 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 115 gr JHP for the defense load.

Decided to start off with the Gold Dot to see where it was hitting. I was shooting off a rest at 25 yds. The image is of the first 4 shots. Can't complain about the group at all. I was holding at 6 O clock just at the bottom of the black bull. If I can get the point of impact to lower by another 5 inches I will be just where I want to be. May have to put a taller front sight on it. Next time out I'll try some off hand shooting to see if that changes anything.

N4rod

See less See more
#5 ·
Sounds like good all the way around: pistol, ammo, and shooting. What's not to like!

#6 ·
I had problems trying to shoot off a rest with my 9 M&P. No matter what I tried it was inconsistent in pattern and location. Finally went to off hand and it came right in where I wanted it location wise and grouping; not as small a group as I want, but that's why I keep shooting ;-)

I've read of others from another forum that had the same problem shooting M&P off a rest. No explanation to date. Never experienced this before with any other gun.

#7 ·
I'm having problems with my M&P9 2.0 5" pro shooting like a shot gun.

I'm using 115 gr coated lead, I hand sorted into 4 weight groups.

I'm using Bullseye 4 grains, inserted to 1.169 inches. I measure each round.
I'm using a bench, and still get shotgun patterns at 25 yards of 5" to 7".
I've tried 3.8 grains of Bullseye, 4.2 grains of Bullseye, and changing insertion to 1.150"
Nothing works.

Any thoughts?

#11 ·
I took my new M&P 9 out to the range yesterday to check it out. I have a 1,000 round case of Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ ammo for practice. I purchased 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 115 gr JHP for the defense load.

Decided to start off with the Gold Dot to see where it was hitting. I was shooting off a rest at 25 yds. The image is of the first 4 shots. Can't complain about the group at all. I was holding at 6 O clock just at the bottom of the black bull. If I can get the point of impact to lower by another 5 inches I will be just where I want to be. May have to put a taller front sight on it. Next time out I'll try some off hand shooting to see if that changes anything.

N4rod
Just replaced my threaded barrel M&P 2.0's tall sights w/ Truglows. I was having the same problem w/ grouping 5" too low [haven't shot since replacing the sights]. Be interested to learn how you remedy this so please keep us posted.
After I installed the Truglow sights I noted that the sights don't clear the can. No biggie really at night as long as the gun is accurate.... even when the can is in the way of the front dot - I'm hoping- will result in proper sight/bullet placement w/out the can.

Please correct if wrong because I've yet to achieve proper bullet placement as follows. .. In the image below w/ this sighting the bullet should land perfect center in bullseye or half way above the front sight? I'm asking because my bullets land at the bottom of the front sight dot. My bullets are 5 inches low with the stock 2.0 tall sights and it drives me nuts:

#14 ·
Just replaced my threaded barrel M&P 2.0's tall sights w/ Truglows. I was having the same problem w/ grouping 5" too low [haven't shot since replacing the sights]. Be interested to learn how you remedy this so please keep us posted.
After I installed the Truglow sights I noted that the sights don't clear the can. No biggie really at night as long as the gun is accurate.... even when the can is in the way of the front dot - I'm hoping- will result in proper sight/bullet placement w/out the can.

Please correct if wrong because I've yet to achieve proper bullet placement as follows. .. In the image below w/ this sighting the bullet should land perfect center in bullseye or half way above the front sight? I'm asking because my bullets land at the bottom of the front sight dot. My bullets are 5 inches low with the stock 2.0 tall sights and it drives me nuts:

I too am using truglow sights. They came on the gun.
Is that part of the problem.

I'm new at this, but i believe you are targeting center mass. You might turn your rear sight counter clock wise a couple clicks.

I do the same bench sight image, but aim for the bottom of the black using a 25 yard target. (size makes a difference) Only my shots go everywhere on the paper. I can't get a tight group, or even 2 in the same hole.

#13 ·
I'm old and set in my ways. I have not shot a handgun of the bench in decades. When I qualified with the 1911A1 we shoot from standing. That's just the way it was in my Marine days long-long in the past. Today even in my advanced age we shoot off hand. I've jokingly said that I've fired enough 45ACP to fill several 55Gal drums with the empties. With that said my 25 and 50 yard firing line (Bullseye) days are more or less over. My range on the property is basically set up for 10Yds and under. There a lot to be learned drawing from concealment and firing with movement thus shooting from waist level up to eye level with movement.(lateral-angular and closing) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.