Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member... so thank you admin and participating members for this great informative forum.

I have recently discovered an interesting defect on my M&P 380 Shield EZ. To date, I have shot about 300 rounds with zero feed issues equipped with the MantisX to monitor my trigger pull and recoil management performance. Average score above 90% - so I am very confident I am shooting well. With that said, I have found that I typically shoot low to the left and I am now considering adjusting the rear sight for windage (from factory setting). However, before adjusting the rear sight, I decided to confirm that the front sight is dead center. To my surprise, I discovered that the front sight can be twisted (very slightly) from left to right. This is obviously a problem since we are dealing with fractions of an inch for sight alignment on a short barrel to achieve accuracy.

I removed the slide and discovered that the front sight is held in place with a locking clip. However, the sight fit into the machined slot on the slide is a little sloppy allowing for the sight to be twisted to the left or right (emphasis on twist). This might explain why some shooters hit dead center or to the left.

To confirm that this is not unique to my firearm, I would greatly appreciate hearing from other EZ owners. This week, I am planning to shoot with the sight twisted full left or right to determine if accuracy changes. The EZ fix is to apply a little loctite to the front sight to lock it in place. I have submitted a ticket SW to hear their thoughts.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A dab of Loctite or a small shim would work. I doubt S&W will do anything you can't do yourself easily.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with Jonsey814...could be finger placement on trigger and/or how you pull the trigger due to the fact your hitting the low and to the left. :cool:

Reactions: TennSharpshooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MantisX

Hitting low, left. I bet you are a right handed shooter. I have no idea what a MantisX is, but low left is usually a sign of jerking the trigger or improper finger position on the trigger for a right handed shooter
The MantisX is a training device that is fitted to the firearm and directly measures motion of the gun pre and post trigger pull. I have no affiliation with them but it is a tremendous product that directly measures how well you are pulling the trigger, remaining on sight during the trigger pull, and motion of the gun during recoil. Here is a link:

https://mantisx.com

I am very confident that the gun is shooting low left since my scores are above 90%. I have tested at 5, 7 and 10 yards.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Is the rear sight adjustable on that model? I would think you will see a difference in where the shot hits by twist the sight full left then full right especially as range increases.
Just how far low and left is it hitting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the rear sight adjustable on that model? I would think you will see a difference in where the shot hits by twist the sight full left then full right especially as range increases.
Just how far low and left is it hitting?
At 7 yards about 1.5 inches. The rear sight is adjustable for windage. Tomorrow of Friday planning to hit the range (assuming decent weather) and will defiantly try full left and full right to see if influencing accuracy.

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The front sights on my .380 EZ do not budge a bit. I also have the little C clip holding it from inside the slide. It looks like the clip is coated with what ever the slide is coated with by S&W but not a bit of movement. I've found the gun to be very accurate as well although my wife can usually out shoot me with it... shoot, she can out shoot me with almost all of the pistols I have. :)

Mike

·
Registered
599 Posts
A neighbor is one of his church's "defense team" and has a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard auto in .380. His rear sight was moved way over and he didn't do it. I suggested he get the slights aligned and then see where he hits before making adjustments. So that might be a fault common for those?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I phoned S&W when I had a problem when the screw (or the hole) on the rear sight of my M&P .22 compact was reamed out. I got them to send me a prepaid shipping label and they replaced the rear sight and sent it back promptly.

I tried to phone Browning when I had a problem with my 1911-22 shooting way, way high, but it seems they were not answering their phones that month. I sent a strongly worded email through their web site and wound up with a prepaid shipping label for that gun also. They "recalibrated the barrel" whatever that means and sent it back - it took a couple weeks longer than S&W's service did, but the gun is great now.

If one method doesn't work, try all the other means of contacting a company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a new member... so thank you admin and participating members for this great informative forum.

I have recently discovered an interesting defect on my M&P 380 Shield EZ. To date, I have shot about 300 rounds with zero feed issues equipped with the MantisX to monitor my trigger pull and recoil management performance. Average score above 90% - so I am very confident I am shooting well. With that said, I have found that I typically shoot low to the left and I am now considering adjusting the rear sight for windage (from factory setting). However, before adjusting the rear sight, I decided to confirm that the front sight is dead center. To my surprise, I discovered that the front sight can be twisted (very slightly) from left to right. This is obviously a problem since we are dealing with fractions of an inch for sight alignment on a short barrel to achieve accuracy.

I removed the slide and discovered that the front sight is held in place with a locking clip. However, the sight fit into the machined slot on the slide is a little sloppy allowing for the sight to be twisted to the left or right (emphasis on twist). This might explain why some shooters hit dead center or to the left.

To confirm that this is not unique to my firearm, I would greatly appreciate hearing from other EZ owners. This week, I am planning to shoot with the sight twisted full left or right to determine if accuracy changes. The EZ fix is to apply a little loctite to the front sight to lock it in place. I have submitted a ticket SW to hear their thoughts.
Happening to me as well. Discovered it today. Seems defective to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My shots were all over the place today and I figured it out. Front sight wiggles and the rear sight had to be adjusted it was on crooked.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I noticed it as well. SW is sending me a new front sight and locking clip. I think they are aware of the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts