Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a new .380 EZ and we were able to take it to the range for the first time today. Except for a few user errors it ran flawlessly with one curious exception. With the action closed, we could not insert a fully loaded magazine. Is this a safety feature of some sort that it's supposed to do, or is it a flaw that needs correction/repair?

Hector

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Premium Member
12,447 Posts
Sounds like a defect. It should never resist dropping or the insertion of and seating of a magazine.

I had a student bring a brand new EZ380 to a class a couple of months ago. After firing 3 shots, it completely jammed and locked up. We could not even open the action to remove the chambered cartridge, and had to fire it to render the arm safe to transport.

My guess is that it's either a cost reduced mechanism with engineering issues, or there are assembly and adjustment issues.

Here's the first recall:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shield-ez-consumer-advisory

Note that these pistols are NOT rated to use +P cartridges.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My wife has a new .380 EZ and we were able to take it to the range for the first time today. Except for a few user errors it ran flawlessly with one curious exception. With the action closed, we could not insert a fully loaded magazine. Is this a safety feature of some sort that it's supposed to do, or is it a flaw that needs correction/repair?

Hector
NO it is not a safety feature!

That is a design flaw. NONE of them will let you insert a full magazine with the slide closed - whether there is a round in the chamber or the chamber is empty. There are several threads here and other places about that problem.

This makes for a serious problem if you are wanting to use that EZ in a competition that requires several reloads because you have to shoot the gun to empty, drop the magazine and load a new magazine and then slingshot the slide. Adds precious seconds to your total time, in addition to messing up your adrenaline enhanced concentration level.

You CAN download the magazines by one round and then they will load into the grip with the slide closed. OR you can buy magazine base plate extensions that allow for an extra round or two but NOT put the extra round in, which is the same as downloading the original magazine by one round.

Nothing can be done other than the above. I wish I could tell you something more encouraging but I spent a couple weeks researching the issue here and other places and that's the way it is.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I just tried mine, which has fired about 250 rounds through it. With the mag having 8 rounds and the slide closed it was very difficult getting the magazine to snap in. I could put the heal of my hand on the bottom of the mag and push hard and it would snap into place, but you could tell it didn't want too. If I push it up normally it goes to within about a half inch of clicking home. I don't remember if I noticed this while shooting or if my wife and I left the slide back, put in a new magazine and hit the slide release (I know, some say it is a slide retainer not a slide release) to let the slide go home.

My .380 runs perfectly, is easy to shoot, rack and is very accurate for both my wife and I (better for her since she is a better shot than I am), so I don't see this as a defect, just a quirk of the gun. Maybe not a desirable one in some cases, but a quirk.

Mike

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I did a little more testing. If I only have 7 rounds in the magazine it loads just fine, so it must be the spring pressure pushing that 8th round up, which makes it hard to seat the magazine.

Mike

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I did a little more testing. If I only have 7 rounds in the magazine it loads just fine, so it must be the spring pressure pushing that 8th round up, which makes it hard to seat the magazine.

Mike
You are correct. A couple people have suggested cutting a coil off of the magazine spring. That is something I would NEVER do.

As things stand now, I can use my EZ for shooting events that have individual 6 round one magazine stages, with plenty of time to load the next magazine before the timer starts again, but I really, really wanted to use it for the action shoots because it is such a great gun to shoot in all of the other ways.

I MISS MY GLOCKS!!!! Unfortunately my right hand became totally trashed - thumb joint left enlarged with no cartilege at all and wrist bones collapsed, from 20 years of shooting those 9mm double stack Glocks which were too large for my hand to be able to hold the grip properly. I shot them so very well, though, and had no problems (after the first 3 months when I learned how to properly grip a semi auto!) Now I shoot only "gentle" brands of.380 or .22 single stack, left handed. You do what you have to do to keep shooting.

BTW - I still have my G42, but can no longer rack the slide without using my plastic HandiRacker, and it has a 7 pound fairly stiff trigger pull and more felt recoil than either the Shield EZ or my SIG p238's. It's still as accurate "as a Glock" though.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Yea, youth is so wasted on the young. LOL!

My wife has racking issues as well, which is why I got the EZ for her to try. I don't know if she likes it quit as well as I do, but she can handle it and rack it without a lot of issues. You could always just load 7 rounds into it.

One gun I've been looking at and seriously considering getting is a Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp (I think they make it in .380 as well). The neat thing about it is the barrel tips up so you can load the "round in the chamber" directly in it without racking the slide at all... or you can rack the slide to load one. I love my Beretta 92FS and I've had an interest in the .32 acp. The Tomcat is considered a mouse gun because it is small but it sure looks fun to shoot.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue with my new S&P M&P Shield EZ .380. I am not new to Semi-Auto handguns but new to the S&W "EZ" platform. When a Mfg. suggest "X"+1, you expect it to be easy to accomplish. I loaded 8 rounds in the magazine, racked the slide to put a cartridge in the chamber. I then dropped the magazine to add the 8th round. I could not push the full magazine into the pistol.
I contacted S&W about this issue and this is the response they replied with.

"We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
You will need to insert the mag at this point with a bit of authority. We would refer to it as a "palm slap". There isn't much clearance with that model but it does work. You will not damage the firearm."

You need to "palm slap" the magazine to get it to seat properly. I slapped it, like it owed me money, and the magazine snapped right in.
I purchased the .380 EZ for my wife who could not rack my Glock 23 or Taurus G2c slide, but she loves this pistol and she has no problem with this pistol's slide.
I do not think she would ever be comfortable "palm slapping" the magazine but it is indeed possible, on this .380 pistol to run 8 + 1 rounds. (With a round in the chamber and 7 rounds in the magazine, it slides right in.)
I have seen many posts here that say it was not possible to run 8 + 1 in this pistol when I faced similar issues but with a quick follow-up from S&W customer service, my issue has been solved.
Be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I had the same issue with my new S&P M&P Shield EZ .380. I am not new to Semi-Auto handguns but new to the S&W "EZ" platform. When a Mfg. suggest "X"+1, you expect it to be easy to accomplish. I loaded 8 rounds in the magazine, racked the slide to put a cartridge in the chamber. I then dropped the magazine to add the 8th round. I could not push the full magazine into the pistol.
I contacted S&W about this issue and this is the response they replied with.

"We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
You will need to insert the mag at this point with a bit of authority. We would refer to it as a "palm slap". There isn't much clearance with that model but it does work. You will not damage the firearm."
As the weak handed person who bought the EZ for herself, there is NO WAY in God's Green Earth that I can get that magazine in with one round in the chamber. No way. Even my hubby who is pretty strong "bout busted his hand" trying to get it in.

Palm slam, my foot

I do think there are maybe a few of them that work that way, but most don't...at least according to all I've read by actual users.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I have a first gen Shield (Not an EZ). you really have to push hard to get a full magazine in when the slide is shut. Its just the way it is

·
Registered
4 Posts
As the weak handed person who bought the EZ for herself, there is NO WAY in God's Green Earth that I can get that magazine in with one round in the chamber. No way. Even my hubby who is pretty strong "bout busted his hand" trying to get it in.

Palm slam, my foot

I do think there are maybe a few of them that work that way, but most don't...at least according to all I've read by actual users.
I was just being funny when I said "I slapped it, like it owed me money" All it took was a nice tap with the palm of my hand and the full mag pops in with one in the chamber. (8 + 1)
I completely agree it should not be this hard but it does work with my pistol.
I am an actual customer and user, just trying to help.
Take care,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts