Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this site, please bear with me. I recently bought a smith and Wesson m&p 22 pistol. I cleaned it and took it to the range with some bulk federal ammo (lightning 40g). I had several fte's and ftf's out of 50 rounds. I cleaned the pistol again, and took it back with cci mini mags this time (Hp 36 g). The pistol worked perfectly, all 100 rounds. I then loaded some more federals, the first two were ftf's. Has anyone heard of this problem? Should I call smith and Wesson about this? I would like to fire bulk ammo, but the pistol doesn't seem to like it. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
23,460 Posts
Most auto feeding problems are magazine problems, I'd try a different one first. The bad news is: a lot of autos are fussy about their ammo (which is why some of us still trust our revolversw/ our lives). I've had good results from federal ammo but the slightly hotter CCI ammo might be the ticket. You can try calling S&W, their service is very good.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
You can also try using solids.....not hollow points. Also, be sure that you clean your mags, and the ramp on the barrel. Federal bulk and Winchester bulk ammo seems to be the best in my Ruger MK.III. Stay away from Remington .22 ammo. Semi-auto's are very picky about which ammo they like. My Ruger isn't too fussy! Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem only worse with Federal Champion ammo which I bought because it was cheap and had good reviews. The Federal ammo in my Performance Center M&P15-22 works great without any problems. Smith & Wesson specifies a bunch of ammo that won't work well in the 15-22 so I was surprised that ammo that runs well in the 15-22 was so poor in the M&P22. Tried some Wolf ammo that I had to see if it was the gun and it was flawless in the M&P22. Love the Wolf ammo but looking for something cheaper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't had feeding issues with either M&P 22s that I own and I have used different brands, including Federal, Winchester and Remington. I also lube between trips to the range.

Try not loading mags to the max until they have been broken in used for a bit. This has always worked for me with new mags that have really tight springs.

·
Super Moderator
19,911 Posts
The biggest problem with the less expensive "Cheaper" ammo is the lack of consistant production results and sloppy quality control. That's the reason why it costs less. CCI costs more because they use better quality componants with tighter tolerances then the bulk ammo. If you were to get out a set of calipers and carefully measure the casing diameters and the bullet diameters on the cheaper ammo you'll find it very inconsistant and a fair amount of it will be out of tolerance from the stated specs of the given casing and bullet specs. Measure some CCI ammo and you'll find just the opposite.
Lower cost and lower quality rifles also have sloppier tolerances in their builds. So they seem to be much more forgiving to the brand and type of ammo they'll feed. Sometimes you'll buy a cheap gun that shoots really well because it got through with much better than average tolerances. And it always come as a big surprise that they got such a great gun for so little money. It's almost like getting a Taurus pistol that shoots really well, and never breaks down (as hard as that is to believe).

The better the quality is for a particular firearm, the tighter the tolerances and the "fussier" they are about the ammo that will feed reliably. The better quality guns also shoot with noticibly greater accuracy.

Spending a little more for that M&P 22 pistol, usually means you invested to get a little higher quality pistol that you plan to shoot. Put a higher quality ammo in it, and you'll see your initial investment pay off quickly.

Ask anybody that shoots .22 caliber benchrest competitions what type of ammo they put in their guns, and they'll almost always tell you it's some of the most expensive ammo available (usually Elay or Aguila). They get exactly what they paid for, in accuracy, and trouble free performance.
In my war chest it's roughly 75% CCI Mini Mag .22 LR ammo, because I can trust it for a trouble free range session.

Regards,
Gregroy

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The federal champions go through my semi auto hand guns and rifles like water.The winchester bulk does good to. I used to use the cci ammo exclusively for many many years and have thousands of rounds of it through my 10-22. But the price of it has became a thing of pride with cci and they reflect there pride there of with extremely high prices for it.
I would give the winchester bulk a try and see if it works.I would do as bob says and steer clear of the remington bulk.It wont cycle any thing i own in semi auto with regularity and miss fires a lot.
Your just going to have to experiment a lot and see what works and retry some of the ammo later on as the gun breaks in some may start working in it. Some semi autos refuse to fire certain ammo and never do and some one with the exact model can fire ammo it cant.Semi autos can be like getting a little kid to eat there veggies especialy when they are brand new.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
I've got another question for you. Do you seat the loaded magazine properly, with a good rap, when loading into your pistol. You can't be too wimpy about it! Give it a good forceful push into the mag well, then give it a rap. Bob

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Resp,

One other thought: "newgunitis"-- it may just need a little braking/wearing in. Run it wet for awhile.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife and I each have an M&P 22. Fed a steady diet of Federal Champion 36gr jhps. We get a few FTE/FTFs (mostly stovepipes) each range session, but nothing I'm panicked about yet, as these are both new guns. We've got some Federal Champion 40gr LRNs to try next, and I have a tone of CCI Standard Velocity for my (hopefully soon to be) Model 41.

Obviously, I agree with trying non-hollowpoints! I'm not sure why running hollowpoints for paper punching is a good idea anyway, esp with a .22. We'll expect to really see how picky these guns are after about 1000 rounds through each. CCI Blazers aren't terribly more expensive in bulk, so if that's what the guns like, we'll use it. My M&P 9c positively dislikes CCI blazers, though, so finding the right ammo is obviously gun-specific.

Also obviously, we're really impressed so far with the M&P 22s since we own 2!

Polish the feed ramp (at least clean it well :) ), and run 'er wet for 1000 rounds, I bet you'll be fine.

Dave

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
have you polished the feed ramp?...it will help with the feeding problem... after 500 rounds see what works the best and buy in bulk...

+1 Break it in well FIRST. After that try different brands of ammo. If nothing works then send it back to S&W. .22's are like a 7 year old kid. They are REAL picky about what they are fed. Find what they DO like and you got a lot of cheap fun ahead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife and I put about 750 rounds of Federal Champion .40 gr LRNs through our two M&P 22s today. 2FTFs and 1 stovepipe. Good accuracy at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards (all in the black at those ranges). We're pretty pleased, esp since we got the Federal at $20 for 500 rounds on sale at our LGS. Far superior to the Federal .36 CJHPs 525 bulk box stuff in terms of accuracy and reliability.

We're really enjoying our M&P 22s, for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
This weekend, between our 2 M&P 22s we ran a thousand rounds of CCI Blazer. MUCH fewer FTF - I think only 2 all weekend. HOWEVER -this stuff is DIRTY! Couldn't get a patch with solvent down the bore, had to start with the brass brush. Took forever to get the barrel nice and clean.

So - I'm looking for a load that feeds and ejects like the CCI Blazer but is clean like the Federal Champion.

I suppose also having it be cheap is out of the question. :)

Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
In the center fire caliber, I'm a a S&W fan all the way. In .22 I only shoot and recomend Ruger. They have it down pat. They are about the best .22 out there. The bolt system is much more suitable for .22 than a slide gun. I have a 33 yr old MK1(basic) and a new MK3 22/45. They shot all day long with any cheap bulk put through them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
True - if what you want is a dedicated stand-alone .22. I've got a Ruger Single Six for that task. I do not care for the looks of the Ruger autos, however.

I have also had a Model 41 in the past (and one on order) for that task, and those are great guns.

Our M&P 22s are for a different purpose - to train with something very much like our M&P9 s with less cost. I will have paid for 2 M&P 22s and 20 extra mags in 10k rounds of 22 LR. At 1000 rounds per weekend - pretty quick payback. And much less affordable in 9mm.

Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts