Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had to replace their 22 Compact barrel? I recently ran some (apparently) really bad Rem Thunderbolt ammo through it and it left horrible lead deposits on the wall of the barrel. During cleaning, I may have scratched the inside of the barrel in an attempt to remove the lead fouling.

I am looking to possibly having the barrel replaced, and am not impressed with the barrel being pinned to the frame from a self-repair angle. Does anyone know if S&W will replace the barrel for a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
I don't know why they wouldn't. I no longer use Thunderbolt's in my semi-auto pistols.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Next time use BTE and a nylon brush or Sweets 762 solvent and a nylon brush and loose the Thunderbolt crap.

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Contact S&W customer service and ask them if it can be repaired under warranty. You were using factory ammunition.

If not, they should be able to quote replacing the barrel. It may be less costly than you think.

Always remember that barrel steel is not a super hard alloy. Hard things scratch and gouge softer things. I only use brass or nylon brushes for cleaning, and am careful to keep jags completely covered with patches.

Reactions: jpr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following this thread to see if anyone chimes in with ammo recommendations. My 22 compact has fouled horribly with a few different brands. Most recently, Winchester 36gr copper plated hollow point. Guess I'll see how it does in my rifles, since I picked up 1,665 rounds @ $0.05/round
Poster Font Billboard Signage Advertising

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Following this thread to see if anyone chimes in with ammo recommendations. My 22 compact has fouled horribly with a few different brands. Most recently, Winchester 36gr copper plated hollow point. Guess I'll see how it does in my rifles, since I picked up 1,665 rounds @ $0.05/round
View attachment 502198
You shouldnt get lead fouling from a plated bullet. One of the cleanest running 22's I have found is the Federal 36gr copper plated rounds in the red box

·
Registered
2 Posts
You shouldnt get lead fouling from a plated bullet. One of the cleanest running 22's I have found is the Federal 36gr copper plated rounds in the red box
I know, right? I was always told that running copper plated rounds would actually help clear lead out. This is the first time I've had fouling with plated bullets. But when I started seeing rectangular holes in my target, about 8" high and right, I knew it was time to call it a day. Wish I had snapped some photos.
Gold Bullet Ammunition Font Gun accessory

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good price (in today's environment) for some of the crappiest ammo on the planet. I too, have quite a bit, but won't be getting anymore once it's all gone.
Most recently, Winchester 36gr copper plated hollow point. Guess I'll see how it does in my rifles, since I picked up 1,665 rounds @ $0.05/round

Same here plus a piece of ChoreBoy like K22 uses.
My favorite is Hoppes # 9,disolves lead,copper fouling !

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Winchester anything is bottom of the barrel for me.

Reactions: Bar Nuthin
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.