Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a S&W M&P 2.0 Subcompact 9mm. I cleaned it and finally took it to the range yesterday. I was using Federal Factory Ammo, 115 gr FMJ with aluminum cases. I put 83 rounds through the pistol and the slide failed to lock back after the last round during the entire shooting session. Here's my question. Has anyone else experienced the same issue with either the ammo or the pistol? I'm planning on going back to the range next week and using different ammo.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jonesy814, thanks for the response. I'm fairly sure it's not a grip issue. I experienced the issue also when shooting one-handed strong and weak hand drills.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
You can see the slide stop with the slide off. I would remove the slide, insert a magazine with 1 round and observe how the lock works, then remove that round and reinsert the mag and see what it does then. An empty mag follower should push up on the slide stop

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Is the gun BRAND NEW?

Does it do this every time with BOTH magazines??

Put only 2 or 3 round in a mag. Then shoot it. Does it lock back when empty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jonesy814,
Thanks again for the suggestion. I checked the slide lock and saw how an empty mag pushed up the slide lock. I stripped the pistol down again and cleaned it. I performed a function test and the pistol did what it was supposed to do with an empty mag and without a mag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rule3.
The pistol is brand new and I cleaned it before I took it to the range. I experienced the slide lock failures with 3 different brand new magazines. Although I can't afford to burn my ammo stock, I'm planning on going back to the range next week with different ammo.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Hopefully that fixes it for you. They put a thin coat of some kind of rust preventative on the slides at the factory. Thats the brown stuff you probably cleaned off when you got it. Maybe it had the release gunked up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank to all for the information and suggestions. I went to the range this morning and focused only grip position instead of drills when shooting the pistol. Turns out it was my grip causing the issue. The placement of the slide lock lever is right where I like to put my thumb. This hasn't happened with my other S&Ws, Taurus or 1911's. Go figure, now I have to change my grip. I am truly humbled by this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts