Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2.0 compact with the 10-round magazines as dictated by my state. With 10 loaded in the mag, the mag easily slides in and locks when the slide is locked back, or when all bullets are spent and the slide automatically locks back. However, when the slide is forward, no round in the chamber, it is very hard to get the magazine in and lock. If I take a round out, it's easier but there is still some resistance. Is it normal to have this resistance when the slide is forwards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I will just avoid loading it this way. The amount of force needed for the latch to catch is way more than I would expect, and I think these magazines were designed to satisfy some kind of legal requirement. the 10th round is extremely difficult to get in, even after letting the mags sit for a month fully loaded to weaken the spring.Loading the 10th round with an Uplula is impossible, the steel finger is too thick and the round will just not go in. There is NO more compression clearance once the 10th round is in, and that's the problem.

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
I bought a Shield in 2012. Magazines were almost impossible to completely load by hand. I loaded them and left them loaded, meanwhile the second set I bought sat empty. After about a year, I could tell which had been full a year and which were empty. I can now load the one pair of magazines by hand and it isnt a struggle. The other set is still really tough to load, but I have now switched and the stiff ones are sitting full

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
I have a .40 M&P Shield, I use an uplula loading my magazines of both capacities interchangeably. The magazine has to be forced to compress the stack when fully loaded, but the pistol operates normally regardless.

Reactions: Fuzznut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took apart one of my mags and "modified" it. I measured the spring diameter, its .050" wire, with 11 turns, so the fully compressed height is 0.55". The follower is angled, and the long side is greater than 0.55", so the follower bottoms out against the baseplate before the spring is fully compressed. I filed the follower long side until I got a height of 0.53". I also shortened the unloaded spring length, not by cutting it, but by bending by hand 22 corners slightly. The length is now 1/4" shorter, in an effort to simulate a well-used mag. I can now use my Uplula to load the 10th round. I still can't put the Uplula finger fully in, it has to be about half way, but the round goes in whereas before it was impossible. The mag goes in the pistol with less force now with the slide forward. I need to take it to the range to see if it works well or not in the long term.

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
You might also want to use a dry lubricant in the magazine. they seem to rely on it. I use a liquid drying lubricant made by 3 in one that works pretty well.

Reactions: Fuzznut
1 - 10 of 10 Posts