Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Seattle. I received an S&W M&P 1905 3rd Change 6” revolver as a Mother’s Day Gift from my mother. Moderator Forester was fantastic in helping me narrow down what I was holding and pointing out interesting bits of knowledge I wouldn’t have otherwise known (such as the sight has been modified). I’m on my way to West Coast Armory to have it assessed, confirm how to legally own it, and sign up for a safe handling class as this is my first owned gun.

Thanks for the help from those of you who have a lifetime of knowledge to share. Special Hello to all those out there that find themselves with both a new gun and a piece of local history. Attaching a photo of “Harp”.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You have a very good mom!

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
Very nice of her. Must think a lot of you. You will enjoy the change 3. I picked up one in 2017; it shipped in Oct 1914. Lots of fun at the range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice of her. Must think a lot of you. You will enjoy the change 3. I picked up one in 2017; it shipped in Oct 1914. Lots of fun at the range.

Thanks for responding. I think a lot of her too. Do you know much about your sight and other sights on the 3rd change? Is yours factory standard? Mine came with a “gold dot” and I’m starting to delve into what that implies. It looks like your blueing is in good condition. Mine is “well used” so the area around the emblem appears blacker by contrast to the rubbed areas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
You have the Target model. Very much desired. Tac drivers from what I have heard. Mine is in great mechanical shape but shows its 106 years of age.

photo web hosting

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Besides the shape of the sight is there anything else indicating it’s a Target model? I looked for image comparisons and the visuals I found don’t look the same but they seemed to be mostly 4th change.

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Alea, welcome to the forum.

Before you head over to "West Coast Armory" with the revolver in hand, it might be best to first review the details of Washington state law on the transfer of a revolver between close relatives.

Your state has been active in passing a number of new infringements lately, and It would be awful to make a procedural mistake and end up with the revolver confiscated, or being accused of a technical crime of some sort.

Make sure your mother issues a signed letter to you with the serial number of the revolver (it's on the heel of the frame) as well as her desire to give it to you and also transfer it to you under whatever terms and conditions are required by Washington state law.

I teach North Carolina law, but am unfamiliar with what you're dealing with there. This may be a place to start:

Firearms FAQ | Washington State

And transfers:
RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

in particular:

(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Understand that Washington state may not preempt a local or county government's ability to pass more restrictive firearms law, so your county and local city as well as your mother's county and city could have additional regulations to observe.

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is a great old gun gifted by your Mom. As far as the sights, I have usually found that target models have an adjustable rear sight. Are there any threaded holes in the top frame that may indicate a missing rear sight? I have several 4th Changes and find they are very accurate.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hi Alea,

A warm welcome to the forum/

Visit often.

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!:cool:

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
180 Posts
Howdy from N Texas and welcome to the community. A gun passed down through the generations is truly a special thing.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.
Alea, welcome to the forum.

Before you head over to "West Coast Armory" with the revolver in hand, it might be best to first review the details of Washington state law on the transfer of a revolver between close relatives.

Your state has been active in passing a number of new infringements lately, and It would be awful to make a procedural mistake and end up with the revolver confiscated, or being accused of a technical crime of some sort.

Make sure your mother issues a signed letter to you with the serial number of the revolver (it's on the heel of the frame) as well as her desire to give it to you and also transfer it to you under whatever terms and conditions are required by Washington state law.

I teach North Carolina law, but am unfamiliar with what you're dealing with there. This may be a place to start:

Firearms FAQ | Washington State

And transfers:
RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

in particular:

(4) This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Understand that Washington state may not preempt a local or county government's ability to pass more restrictive firearms law, so your county and local city as well as your mother's county and city could have additional regulations to observe.
Thanks you. That actually explains the letter my Mom included with the gun. She is exactly the type of person that would look up the law before transferring it to me.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
As a Washington resident, I can tell you with virtually 100% certainty that a transfer between immediate family members does not require a visit to an FFL. There is no paperwork to do. If either of you were residents of another state then a transfer would need to be completed, but not for a transfer between two immediate family members who both reside in the state of Washington. As long as you are not a prohibited person, and if you were a transfer wouldn't be possible anyway. Having the letter from your mother establishes the provenance of your ownership, so it is a good thing to have, though not a legal necessity.

Your gun isn't a target model, since it has a fixed "groove" type rear sight. Target models have adjustable rear sights.
What your gun does have is an aftermarket, Marble brand, "gold bead" (actually made of brass) front sight. A desirable feature, but not in the same ballpark as a target model.

It is a neat old 6" M&P though, and though they literally made millions of them and they aren't rare or particularly valuable, the family connection makes its value "priceless". Its monetary value is probably in the $400 range - give or take a little.

The idea of taking a gun safety class is a good one. Firearms ownership is a big responsibility and learning safe handling is important, and a very wise choice on your part. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts