Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the gun pictured on a trade and would like to see how much it is valued at. The guy told me this is not a sport II. How can I tell a difference between sport vs sport II? Also all accessories are staying on the gun. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,325 Posts
To me, it would be worth around $450-500 in trade value. The M&P is a solid rifle with very good to excellent reviews.
To see the differences between the Sport and Sport II I'd go to S&W's website and print out the spec pages and the photos for comparison.
You rifle is truly worth exactly what you valued what you traded for it. Hopefully you did well in this acquisition.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
One obvious difference is that the Sport does not have a forward assist and the Sport 2 does. That one has it, but that doesn't make it a Sport2. That could be the M&P 15. As Gearchecker said, you would have to check S&W to see the differences.. That one has been modified enough that it may be hard to tell. A basic Sport AR goes for $550 more or lessAnd the M&P 15 goes for $998. Check for a chrome lined bore. The Sport2 doesn't have it, the M&P 15 does

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
WHAT? Just bought an M&P 15 Sport II Promo kit with: 1 magazine, case & speedloader from Bud's Gun Shop for @ $550.00.
Yep, if you read my whole post I said the M&P 15 Sport2 is going for $550 more or less. The M&P 15 (not Sport) is a different critter. One difference I mentioned was the chrome lined bore (and chamber, gas key & bolt carrier). It also comes with a removable carry handle and has a 1 in 7 twist rate. The Sport2 is not chrome lined and has a 1 in 9 twist rate and no carry handle. Different furniture on the 2 models also.
S&W also makes an M&P 15T, 15TS a 15X and an M&P 15 Competition model, just to name a few. All of them cost more than the Sport2

·
Premium Member
6,552 Posts
OP lousy picture for identification.

If the barrel is an M4 profile as the pic kinda-sorta appears to be, then it's not a Sport variant. And if the handguard is a S&W factory quad rail then it would appear to be an M&P 15X which is twice the MSRP of the Sport. On the other hand, if it's just a straight profile barrel with a cheap aftermarket UTG quad rail then it's a Sport variant worth around $400 used. You can find new Sports under $500.

As far as the accessories... appears to be dime store stuff of little value.

This is an M&P 15X. Is this your rifle? https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15x

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All thank you very much. Those are the only two pictures I have right now. This is what the guy is telling me, I just copied and pasted our conversation

"Smith and Wesson model M&P-15, in .223 cal (5.56mm, the standard military round). SN: 72xxx
- original M&P 15, I bought it in 2007, it is not any of the sport models.
- comes with 2, 30-round military magazines.
- simple sling (not sure brand)
- rear flip sight, rail mounted. ‘Sniper’ brand, it was $20
- front hand grips were replaced with rail system ‘Global Military Gear’. I think I got them on sale for $25 or so. These are used to attach gear to the rifle.
- hand grips have covers by UTG (so you don’t scratch your hand on the rails). Paid maybe $10?
- Pelican tactical flashlight with angled rail attachment, it was about $100 total at the time but not sure value now, probably could get this same light on market now for 45.
- NcStar red/green dot sight. This thing was $40 and is accurate and fun (just put the dot on the target and it will hit). But, it is admittedly a cheap sight and not great for bad weather, so if you go hunting there are better sights out there. It as $40.
- the front sight is fixed and has the standard military bayonet lug on the bottom. This is really just for show though it is functional because this civilian rifle is about 2in longer than the actual militarily ones so a bayonet won’t fit exactly right.- push button expandable bi-pod front grip by G.P.S. It’s actual military issue from when I was in the army. They are $110.

Here is a write up on the rifle. Note this was looking at the tactical version of this rifle, identical to mine but made for actual police so it had factory installed rails and accessories.
https://www.policemag.com/339783/smith-wesson-mp15t-tactical-carbine

Also, please note that I was a military police officer and put this together To be similar to my duty weapon. This is a straight civilian rifle with upgrades. It’s only semi automatic, nothing weird going on."

So that's all the info I looked and I'm almost 100% positive is an original m&p. My biggest question is how do I prove this if I were to sell the gun in the future and what's its value? It's hard to find a non sport to compare gun value. Any other input would be helpful!! Is there a sku number on the gun I reference or even use the serial number to get a model?

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
i would sell your outright to some one and go buy what you want. You will loose out in a trade !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts