Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First time AR owner, a few questions please.

1. What is the recommended home defense ammo? 223 or 556....55gr or 62gr or other? Particular brand?

2. I picked up some Remington 223 / 62 gr and some Winchester 556 / 55gr ..... Is one better than the other for the range?

Thanks ahead

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine shoots 55gr Federal American Eagle .223 well. 1 1/2" at 100yds off a rest. Stock action. Yours should as well. No experience with the 62gr. Remingtons. The Winchester load is as good. .556 is the military caliber designation. The M&P 15 shoots both.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but only way to tell what shoots best in your rifle is to carefully test it at a range. By careful, I mean over a decent rest and relatively slow speed. The other week I watched a young adult and his dad shooting an AR very fast and from an unsupported standing position and then complaining about hits all over, or off the target. I was tempted to offer some unsolicited advice, but the snarky comments form son to father when he tried, changed my mind and I just let him waste ammo.

On the home defense question, do not use full metal jacket stuff due to almost guaranteed overpenetration. Hollow points or ballistic tip type rounds, maybe in a lighter weight would be my choice. Enjoy your nice AR.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
For home defense (inside the home) an AR-15 is quite possibly the worst choice. The bullet travels way too fast, and way too far to make it effective indoors.
Even hollow point .223/5.56 ammo is travelling way too fast to open properly at close range (less than 25 yds). More than likely it'll just go thru the bad guy, and thru a couple of walls before finally stopping. If you are shooting in your home you must ALWAYS be certain of the background, and where the bullet is going to go once you pull the trigger. You certainly don't want to accidently shoot a family member because they're too close or on the other side of the wall downrange.
If anybody doubts these statements just go to youtube and look up AR15 wall penetration. The videos will let you see just how the bullets will react to walls and other objects.
In the gun shop I work in we generally tell anybody choosing an AR-15 for home defense to make sure they tell the neighbor that they intend to use the AR for defense. That way, if the neighbors hear gun shots, they'll know to get down into a basement so they're not accidently shot.

A short barreled shotgun or a handgun strategically placed in the home are generally better choices for home defense. And even with those choices, you must always be aware of where the bullet will go if you miss, or fully penetrate the bad guy.
Lastly, shooting somebody in "defense of property" is not just a bad idea, it's also illegal in most states. There is no personal property on this earth worth taking a persons life over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For home defense (inside the home) an AR-15 is quite possibly the worst choice. The bullet travels way too fast, and way too far to make it effective indoors.
Even hollow point .223/5.56 ammo is travelling way too fast to open properly at close range (less than 25 yds). More than likely it'll just go thru the bad guy, and thru a couple of walls before finally stopping. If you are shooting in your home you must ALWAYS be certain of the background, and where the bullet is going to go once you pull the trigger. You certainly don't want to accidently shoot a family member because they're too close or on the other side of the wall downrange.
If anybody doubts these statements just go to youtube and look up AR15 wall penetration. The videos will let you see just how the bullets will react to walls and other objects.
In the gun shop I work in we generally tell anybody choosing an AR-15 for home defense to make sure they tell the neighbor that they intend to use the AR for defense. That way, if the neighbors hear gun shots, they'll know to get down into a basement so they're not accidently shot.

A short barreled shotgun or a handgun strategically placed in the home are generally better choices for home defense. And even with those choices, you must always be aware of where the bullet will go if you miss, or fully penetrate the bad guy.
Lastly, shooting somebody in "defense of property" is not just a bad idea, it's also illegal in most states. There is no personal property on this earth worth taking a persons life over.
I agree. I would also add to grab your ear protection before using your AR for self defense in the home.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I'm not a big fan of long guns for use inside the home. They require two hands. Inside the home there's doors, stairs, assisting family and children... on and on... that require a free hand. Unless you're barricaded inside the home waiting for the bad guy to come to you, I believe a handgun has more advantages than disadvantages, including the time to gain control of the weapon and bring into action as well as maneuverability in tight spaces.

Outside the home is another matter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depends on barrel length. In my 16" AR is use Hornady 73gr FTX Critical Defense and in the 10" I use 55gr FTX to get reliable cycling with H buffers. Both are .223 rounds, designed for short range self-defense. Glad I stocked up on them last year.

"The unique design of the Critical Defense® FTX® bullet offers quick expansion and limited penetration from self-defense rifles."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts