Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a M&P 15-22 Sport and absolutely love it! However, the user manual isn't real clear on the use of solvents (it states some cleaners can cause damage to your firearms) but doesn't specify any particular ones to avoid. I generally use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Aerosol on my other firearms and wondered if anyone had used it on their M&P 15-22?

PS When checking the spelling of the brand name I noticed they have a synthetic safe product so I'll be looking for that but still wonder what you all are using.

Attachments

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Premium Member
12,712 Posts
I use Hoppes No. 9 to clean all my firearms. Always lightly oil the barrel with a mop and one or two drops of Hoppes preserving gun oil when I finish. Always dry clean the barrel before the next shooting.

Reactions: RV60-22

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marc, just being cautious as it's my first 'polymer' gun. I keep a bore snake in my shooting box and make a pass with with before each session. Love this thing and it's the first gun that I've put a reflex sight on as well, what a blast!

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
In my view, a bore snake is worthless. In fact I have a few if anyone wants them, they can have them....

I also find Hoppes to be close to worthless as well and may be fine for lead pills but for FMJ gilded jackets it's basically worthless. I only use it as an after cleaning elixir but then again, I only shoot jacketed pills. I use BTE exclusively and always with a bore guide inserted in the chamber to keep the BTE out of the action. When I clean my revolvers, I put a rag at the forcing cone end to catch the drips.

BTE, like Sweets will attack bronze brushes so I only use nylon brushes, nylon jags and patch pullers and Dewey carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Before I start, I borescope the barrel to see how bad it's fouled and afterwards to check to see that the BTE has done it's job, removing carbon. powder residue and copper fouling. If any remains, I repeat the process and with BTE, you don't have to apply a rust preventive to the inside, the BTE is a rust preventative though I do wet patch Hoppes, it's only personal preference.

I've seen some horrible tubes in my day and a fouled tube won't group worth beans.

Probably don't matter much with a handgun shooting close or an AR shooting 100 yards but I typically shoot much, much farther. All my guns are zeroed at 200 yards except the handguns. I sight them at 50 yards and the 460 is at 100 yards. Even my 223 is set at 200 yards.

I want that pill to go exactly where I point the firearm and a clean tube (and chamber) is necessary for that to happen.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks SidecarFlip for your insight. I should have specified that I use the bore snake to pull out any after cleaning oil (and any thing that might have stuck to it while stowed) that may be in the barrel before shooting, it's not my primary cleaning tool. I get the feeling that your caring for much higher end platforms and as an aircraft mechanic I appreciate the level of care that you bestow on your firearms. I bought my M&P 15-22 to plink with and only lead get's pushed down the barrel. I will clean it thoroughly and hope to get years of the enjoyment I've had over the last couple of days with it! Thanks again for the tips.

Robin

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks jonesy814, I have both the Breakfree CLP and Hoppes and I'll see how they do.

Robin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jb59, hadn't heard of it yet but sounds like I'll try to avoid it! :eek:

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Birch Wood Casey Gun Scrubber is a De-greaser cleaner. It will remove all grease and oils from the gun . It safe to use but remember you will have to re lube the firearm after your done .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Layne12gun, I usually give things a thin coat of Breakfree CLP when I finish, think I'm going to try to find their synthetic safe cleaner and give it a try. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
Some say Ballistol is the best but not for me that stuff stinks, smells like corn chips and stinky socks .
WOW, I have this visual of stale Frito corn chips and my stinky socks...lol I'll stay away from that stuff. BTW, BTE has no smell what so ever.

Reactions: RV60-22

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Hey Flip, send me those boresnakes!

Regards, Gregory

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
In my view, a bore snake is worthless. In fact I have a few if anyone wants them, they can have them....

I also find Hoppes to be close to worthless as well and may be fine for lead pills but for FMJ gilded jackets it's basically worthless. I only use it as an after cleaning elixir but then again, I only shoot jacketed pills. I use BTE exclusively and always with a bore guide inserted in the chamber to keep the BTE out of the action. When I clean my revolvers, I put a rag at the forcing cone end to catch the drips.

BTE, like Sweets will attack bronze brushes so I only use nylon brushes, nylon jags and patch pullers and Dewey carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Before I start, I borescope the barrel to see how bad it's fouled and afterwards to check to see that the BTE has done it's job, removing carbon. powder residue and copper fouling. If any remains, I repeat the process and with BTE, you don't have to apply a rust preventive to the inside, the BTE is a rust preventative though I do wet patch Hoppes, it's only personal preference.

I've seen some horrible tubes in my day and a fouled tube won't group worth beans.

Probably don't matter much with a handgun shooting close or an AR shooting 100 yards but I typically shoot much, much farther. All my guns are zeroed at 200 yards except the handguns. I sight them at 50 yards and the 460 is at 100 yards. Even my 223 is set at 200 yards.

I want that pill to go exactly where I point the firearm and a clean tube (and chamber) is necessary for that to happen.

Ever heard of a "Fouling Shot"? The first bullet out of a clean barrel 99.99% of the time doesn't go where the rest of them go after the barrel is fouled a little. Hunters(me) and bench rest shooters NEVER shoot for accuracy with the first shot out of a clean barrel. I never clean my deer rifle barrels during the season unless they get wet. So I KNOW that my bullet go EXACTLY where I want it too out of a fouled barrel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Birch Wood Casey Gun Scrubber is a De-greaser cleaner. It will remove all grease and oils from the gun . It safe to use but remember you will have to re lube the firearm after your done .
That's right. It is a very effective cleaner for the action of firearms but not much use as a bore cleaner. Birchwood-Casey makes two versions of "Gun Scrubber" and you want the one that says "Synthetic Safe" on the label.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I had to return to that 'work' thing today, thanks all for the tips!

Smith Shooter - I'm looking for it locally but haven't had any luck yet, may have to see if I can order some on-line.

WendyZXZ - Thank you for the welcome, look forward to learning more from all the other 15-22 threads!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've decided she's a 'keeper' so I ordered her a full Magpul wardrobe last weekend! CTR stock, K2+ grip, and AFG2 front hand grip compliment the Magpul sights (which co-witness perfectly with the Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus)! Grip feels right using the pictured LOP and we'll see how she doe's this weekend. Only thing I'd like to find is a lower profile M-Lock rail to decrease the gap between the forearm and front grip. RVVD M&P 15-22 013.jpg

Reactions: cjt50
1 - 19 of 19 Posts