Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ammo do you find best to use in your 15-22?
I’ve only had the firearm for about 9 months and can’t get out to range as often as I’d like. I’ve had success using the Aguila SuperExtra able to put a few hundred rounds with no issue, but using Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester SuperX I’m only able to put through 3-5 rounds before it jams or doesn’t eject the cartridge. I’ve cleaned and re-oiled after the first time it jammed and it still continues to jam.
I can’t find the Aguila ammo anywhere right now, that’s going to be my go to once i can find it again.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
If your rifle only likes a specific ammo and does not cycle or jams on other brands I would have to think the firearm has a problem. Most all 22's perform their best with an ammo brand, wi bullet and charge but it should work with just about anything except low velocity or "quiet loads" as they don't have the power to make the semi-auto cycle properly. I would contact S&W for a fix or get a return to the factory for a fix. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far I've used a couple thousand Norma TAC-22s and a few hundred CCI Mini Mags with great results. I started with a lot of the TAC-22s due to availability and cost but as I use those up will probably move towards the CCI and my yet to be tried Aguila super extras. I want to move to non bare lead / coated bullets. I assume less handling lead and less lead in the barrel would be good things. The lead handling is now only an issue with my other 22's anyway as I got a McFaden loader for the 15-22 and it is the best thing ever.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
I have used Federal 36gr copper washed bulk ammo, federal Auto match, Golden Bullets, CCI Mini mags and a few more without problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Federal 36gr copper washed bulk ammo, federal Auto match, Golden Bullets, CCI Mini mags and a few more without problems
I’ve only had the firearm for about 9 months and can’t get out to range as often as I’d like. I’ve had success using the Aguila SuperExtra able to put a few hundred rounds with no issue, but using Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester SuperX I’m only able to put through 3-5 rounds before it jams or doesn’t eject the cartridge. I’ve cleaned and re-oiled after the first time it jammed and it still continues to jam.
I can’t find the Aguila ammo anywhere right now, that’s going to be my go to once i can find it again.
I have used Remington Thunderbolt 22 ammon and it jams missed every 6 to 10 rounds. I'll be trying some CCI ammo next week

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine has functioned with everything I've tried, which surprised me to be honest. Mild to hyper velocity.

Accuracywise, mine has been more picky than most .22s. Eley Action (green and white box) finally did the best. That's not one of their better grades, so it also surprised me. The bad (maybe) news is they've since changed it, going to a 42 grain bullet rather than a 40. I found that as soon as I chose it as my winner. I think CCI Standard Velocity was next best. The CCI throws maybe one flier in ten, which is typical of it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like the extractor to me. Mine did the same thing until I replaced the extractor with the volquartsen extractor. Nothing else fixed it. Has not jammed since. Cost $16 and took about 1 minute to change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I put it in my post above but must have been another thread. When I first got mine I had some jams. It stopped after my second cleaning and I assumed it was a better clean and oil job. But my friend bought a 15-22 after trying mine and started with jams. After he shot his hand loaded mags and used my McFadden loader his problems went away. That's when I realized my problems also stopped when I started using the loader. Way faster, easier, and mags work 100% with it vs hand loading. I highly recommend them. McFadden Machine Ultimate Cliploader (mcfaden.com)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts