Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - Newbie in many ways ;).
Recently purchased S&W model M-649-1 revolver. J frame - 38 spec. Age not known - has 155 stamped inside - guessed at 1970's. Belonged to retired FBI so is currently double action only with wood handle and Tyler grip adapter.
Probably more info than you need.
Looks to be in super shape. Trouble is the trigger. It did not seem that bad when I purchased it. But in firing it is way too stiff for this old broad. Is there any way to make it easier for me ??
Do not know that there is any gunsmiths in this area.
Hubby purchased a Rossi .357 - .38 spec model R641 - to me the triggers are about the same. His is new and mine is not. Where he purchased his, said use it & get strong. I've been doing exercises to strengthen that finger. (sounds funny):p thanks

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you can get a new trigger spring kit from smith but considering the guns age that might make it worse. theres probbaly other options out there some being unsafe. if i were you just keep strengthening that finger and firing the gun and all will work out

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Unless you're trained and comfortable in working on one of these, I would contact Smith & Wesson and inquire about having them do their action work. It's worth every penny-you won't believe the difference.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
welcome01 to the Forum from Michigan.
+1 on what Hellbent recommends.

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Because it's been converted to DAO, they probably increased the trigger pull too. Usually they seem to be around 8-10 Lbs, occasionally even heavier. You can either have S&W service Center work on it, or you can call the local gunsmiths in the area if they can do a trigger job for you. Most can. It's not all that technical, but experience and skill is still needed to do it right the first time. You might also ask them if they'll convert it back to a SA/DA action. you should be looking for apull around 4-5Lbs to keep it safe, but light enough to be pleasant to shoot.
Ask for their cost, and what their lead time is on the work. Some gunsmiths think they're work is golden, and they charge exorbidant fees to match. Most are really good with what they do, and charge reasonable rates for the work they perform as well.
A complete trigger job should be around $150. That would include the conversion back to the original configuration. Most gunsmiths will have the replacement parts on hand too. They're very common, inexpensive, and easy to acquire if they don't have them on hand.
Let us know how it goes on getting the trigger lightened.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
19,962 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Wolff Springs makes spring kits to adjust the action as you like. If you or your husband don't have the expertise to work on the gun (lots of little parts and small springs), take it to a gunsmith. There is a gunsmith/custom shop near me in SE Alabama called apwCogan.com. They do this type of work and also work for S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc doing various types of manufacturing/custom work. Shipping and return shipping for sending them the gun would be cost prohibitive, IMO. But, you can call and talk to Bob Cogan (tell him I sent you) and he might advise you on how to minimize the costs. I can vouch for the quality of their work. If all that seems like too much, consider getting some lubricant that is designed to smooth out a trigger such as KG-5 trigger lube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the input.

Last night friend told me guy he recommends for me to take CCL also does a lot of work on his guns & said he can probably help me.

Will be seeing him next week anyway - said to bring it with me and he'll do a look see.

If that doesn't work out - S&W will check out.

Not sure I want to put another $150 into it - maybe just sell it.

Will keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts