Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,107 Posts
You can make a pretty inexpensive and fun load by pushing primed cases into a block of paraffin wax.

A little messy in the clean up but all you are out is the cost of the primers....

Here's how it's done:

http://www.gunfighter.com/cgi-bin/bbs/f ... i?read=700

Accurate enough for Bill Jordan and I've used them across the length of my basement.

· Registered
4,107 Posts
Hey Greg!

Yes, you do get wax in the barrel, but it comes out pretty easily.

I used to use a stainless 681 for this and after I peeled the grips off it went into the dishwasher..... alone, with nothing else. Came out slick as a hounds tooth and after I hit it with a generous dose of Break Free it was ready for storage.

Wax can be fairly accurate.... better than runner bullets in my opinion. we were shooting at 50' of so.

One thing we learned was that if you opened up the primer pockets with a drill it eased seating of the the primers and reduced set back against the recoil shield. Cases so modified were notched and never used again for anything else....

Cheap, quiet, fun and relatively safe as wax won't ricochet....

· Registered
4,107 Posts
Greg,

I never used to pull the sideplate... the particular 681 in question had seen dunkings worse that that dishwasher....

However it is possible to get the gun just as clean by spraying it with WD-40 after shooting with wax. WD will disolve the wax but you still have to wipe and swab a little.

Think if the residue left in the bore and cylinders by Bullet Lube.... same sort of thing, just a little more of it.

Shooting Wax is alot of fun and everybody should try it at least once just to say they have.... :)

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.