Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of places, we had a panic buy during the start of the virus panic. Lots of guns and ammo went the way of toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
It's been awhile, TP is back on the shelves, but guns and ammo are still kind of scarce. I stopped at a couple shops in the last few days, I've been on vacation, all are trying to restock with new guns coming in from distributors. They don't seem to get much though. Used gun trade ins just aren't there. Ammo is still pretty hard to find. One shop told me that if they get any 9mm or 40 in, it's sold out the same day. Academy and Atwood's, 2 places with good ammo prices, have lots of empty shelves.
Is it like this everywhere? I'm sure things will return to normal eventually. Or, with an election coming up, we may see this for awhile.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Good thing I stocked up late last year. It'll be a while before I see deals like those.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
No shortage here as far as I know. I was in the gun shop Monday before last and there was plenty of guns and most of the ammo shelves were stocked.

·
Super Moderator
19,371 Posts
No shortages at the gun shop I just started working at. Not a lot of .223 or 5.56, but we have some on the shelves.
We have plenty of all pistol calibers, no shortages there.

Reactions: Boriqua and jeepnut

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
It is pretty the same here. Especially with ammo more than guns, spare magazines especially AK and AR are completely gone. Some things like buck shot is impossible to find and slugs are scarce. We have always picked up a box or two of whatever anytime we go to the gun store we mainly use regardless of buying anything else to put some money into the business and people there say the same is true for other places in the area.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It will take time for the shortages to show up in most places.

With the protester takeover of downtown Seattle today (including a police station) it's only a matter of time before shortages appear.

That's ok. Buy it up. You'll probably need it.

The times they are a'changing.

Reactions: combat and jeepnut

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Stopped in at two small shops last week. Inventory at one was maybe 80% on firearms and ammo about the same. Lots of powder, but bullet selection down about half. The other store had maybe 25% of their normal long gun inventory and maybe 50 % on ammo. All the gun shows have been cancelled until end of the month or maybe into July. Oddly enough, I am trying to sell a new in the box Henry .22 pump and getting some lookers, but no $$. It doesn't eat anything though, but if I keep it much longer, I know I will shoot it some.

·
Super Moderator
19,371 Posts
One thing we don't have here are any pump shotguns. Not in any gauge. WE have a few shotguns, but they're either single shots, side by side, or the better ones cost a couple of thousand to get one.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
Gunsmith frind of mine has guns in his store but he has tripled his orders on ammo and they move out pretty fast. He said got in 10 380 cal semis last Tuesday at 4 PM and by 6 PM had sold them all. And 380 ammo is hard to get. His shotguns are going fast too. He feels there may be a big run on Archery items here in about a month. Also he is doing about a 1,000% increase in training for new owners. Glad to hear new people buying but also getting training too. As said, strange times now. Some of the other duns stores around, still local owned are stocked but certain types and calibers are scarce. Delivery times to them all have lessened but still longer than what was normal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I went to cabelas here in the St. Louis area almost all out but hunting rounds, a couple of 9 mill 250 cans but that was about it. I just wanted some 357 180 grain bear loads, because we are going to the boundary waters canoeing . Found a box at mid way

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
It's the same, at the Gun Rack on Tues. morning. Low on guns.....can't keep popular ammo in stock. It always happens, when there is a panic. Soon, there will be alot of guns on the used shelves, with hardly any use! (y):cool: Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at a gun store today. The owner was complaining about how hard it is to get stuff in to sell. He may be a bit of a pessimist but he said things usually get weird going into an election year. With all that's been going on lately, his prediction is, come November, Biden wins and there will be a gun buying panic, especially if his VP is one of the Progressive lefty ladies. If Trump wins, there will be riots again and a gun buying panic.
Like I said, he's a little ray of sunshine, but he's been in the business for decades.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hubby had a SIG P320 in .40 cal that he tried to sell for way over a year. First he put it on consignment at a lgs with no luck for weeks and weeks. Then he gave it to a local FFL guy who sells a lot on gunbroker. Not even one low bid. Finally he took it back to the first LGS again on consignment. THEN came COVID. BINGO, SOLD. And our area did not have the gun shelves clean out customer purchases that a lot of other places did. But all ammo went fast.

We both have all the guns we really want and I keep looking for cases of ammo at decent prices. I could kick myself in the butt for not ordering a case of 9mm and a case of .30 about 3 months ago! The last time prices got this high, it took several years for them to come back down again. This time I'm wondering if they will ever come back down.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Too bad none of the future used guns will be anything I want. The kids are all buying plastic fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
I was at a gun store today. The owner was complaining about how hard it is to get stuff in to sell. He may be a bit of a pessimist but he said things usually get weird going into an election year. With all that's been going on lately, his prediction is, come November, Biden wins and there will be a gun buying panic, especially if his VP is one of the Progressive lefty ladies. If Trump wins, there will be riots again and a gun buying panic.
Like I said, he's a little ray of sunshine, but he's been in the business for decades.
I agree entirely with him. No matter who wins there will be another run on everything firearms related. And now with being emboldened and empowered with how much of society is kowtowing to BLM they are going to go out for more and more and never relent. Plus ANYTIME a black is killed by police it is going to reinflame everything. I don't look for anything to improve...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts