Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I decided I was going to go out fishing after work. There's been way too much rain this year, and walking New Hampshire brooks in search of Salvelinus fontinalis is a whole different ballgame this year compared to a typical year. There is a lot of high water and lots of sediment in the water due to all this rain we're getting. Wild brookies are difficult to find. But One will never catch fish in the living room, and so I planned my afternoon. Took out my fish knife- a fixed blade Buck, and my stones, and I began to sharpen it. The 3rd stroke down the stone completed, I brought the blade backward in mid air, just over the stone, and it slipped out of my hand. Without a thought and in total reflex, I tried to grab the knife, to stop it from striking/ruining the edge I was about to complete. Instead of catching the knife, I instead drove that blade in to the side of my hand to the bone. Brilliant, huh? Bled all over the place, went to the walk-in and got a half dozen stitches in it. Now my hand is out of commission, thankfully its my left and not the right, dominant hand.
Well okay. So I had to make myself feel better, you know? :mrgreen: And to do that, I went out and found an early Contender in 357 Maximum. Its a mongrel, with beautiful walnut burl on the grip while the fore stock is regular grained wood. The barrel looks about new, and I think its from their custom shop. Not even sure it was fired. Its topped off with a Bushnell 2.5, a situation I'll soon enough remedy. But I will try out the Bushnell first too, to see if it zero's and holds the setting firm.
The Contender will become a deer/critter gun, which is why I posted this story on my day in this hunting section. $350 OTD.
Oh yeah, and I put my form in to take monday Nov. 2nd off, the 3rd and last day of either sex hunting for our muzzle loader season. So opening weekend of black powder season will give me a 3 day hunt. That makes me happy......what knife in my hand?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff Old Buddy.... I know what you mean.... I had a dear friend from Va show up on Wednesday..... Remember BruceHMX?.... he and his boy Ed came up to hang out with my boys and me.... we decided to take the crew out 'hornpoutin' and after a big dinner and a little siesta until around midnight, we got our gear togeather.... two 8 year olds, a truck load of stuff that kids and flatlanders consider essential, from cylume-sticks to coleman stoves.
Off we go. Get to a favorite spot, unpack all the junk, trek in about a mile in the completely moonless night, and set up.... the 'pout start to come in something fierce, then so does the rain.... mercilessly. We packed up all our junk, and walked back out again.... took longer to walk in and walk back out again than to fill our first bucket with a nice mess of good ones.... at least we had a really fine fish fry tonight....

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
From what I have read, the 357 Max. is a very good eastern deer cartridge. Good luck with the barrel. Just don't try to catch the bullets coming out of the barrel :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Geoff,

Who here hasn't stuck themselves with thier hunting/fishing knife? But...all the way to the bone? Ouch!

Good on you with the .357 Maximum though. Sounds like a good ******* shooter gun to me! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff,

I think I may have a box or two of Remington factory 180's around here if you need them.

Let me know and I'll bring them up to you or I could have them at the 4th annual RNS 2009.

Drew

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ahhh, retail therapy!! I can sure make a body feel better.

Sure hope you heal up quick and clean.

I know a guy that was using a filet knife to skin his first deer, some how or other he managed to stab himself in the chest.... They got him to the hospital and plugged back up just fine.

Just scary how some of those things happen.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.