Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a no. of S & W revolvers...all N frames. The screws on all of them come loose, when shooting them. I use fitted hollow ground screwdriver blades and tighten as much as I dare. I don't have the same issue with my Ruger BHKs or SBHK. What do you do to keep yours from loosening?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I put a drop of blue loctite on the screws. Doesnt really make them any more difficult to take out when needed but stops them from vibrating loose.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What do you use to de-grease the screws and screw-holes?
Regular ol isopropyl alcohol that almost everyone has somewhere in the house. I use it to clean my air brushes and a variety of things but its one of those items that seem to appear in every household by magic. Give the screws a good wipe down and just a drop of locktite confined to the threads and not dripping and you are good to go. I have disassembled after using it and it comes right apart. It just helps with the vibration since it globs up the threads.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wish that I could say the same....
Dont feel bad .. I just had my Cylinder release almost fall out this weekend. Could turn the screw with a finger nail and the Cylinder release just rattled held on my a couple of threads. Yup ... On went the blue locktite!

·
Registered
203 Posts
As Boriqua noted in his other thread, it's a good idea to check your equipment at cleaning time. Anything can come loose with time. A number of years ago I was running a qualification, and one normally competent shooter was all over the place. I watched him carefully during the next string, and saw that the rear sight (the entire sight, not just the blade!) on his Model 66 was missing!! He was quite embarrassed when this was pointed out to him, because it was obvious he had not inspected his sidearm recently, and it was also obvious he wasn't using his sights! Fortunately, I had a spare K frame sight in my range box...

The moral of the story is: check your equipment, because stuff happens!! ;)

A dab of blue loctite helps, but I have had loctited screws come loose over time as well.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
If you don't have LocTite , a dab of clear nail polish will work. I used it on the strain screw on my 625 and it hasn't come loose again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts