Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I went to a private gun shop and they had NO ammo at all.:eek:
Then I went to Scheels and they only had 9MM, 40 S&W and .45 ACP. No revolver ammo at all.
Whats up with that?:(
Jim
Yes, as it has less production I suppose in these times? As far as revolver ammo that is non-range (limit of one box) ammo, my LGS only has big bore ammo such as .44 magnum, .454, etc.

This is the cheapest .38 special I've found in the era of >$1 a round .38 and .357.

38 Special Archives - Precision ONe Ammunition

By the way, my LGS is selling this stuff for like $50-60 a box of 50, whereas it is $40 on the website. I bought some from the website because I couldn't find it any cheaper.

38 Special Ammo | Cheap 38 Special Ammunition - AmmoSeek.com 2021

It seems to be slightly less expensive than it was 3-4 months ago, but still a lot on there.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I dug around in my boxes of stuff in my gun room and found several boxes of .38 Special and .357 Magnum.
I'm saving the good stuff for carry but we'll shoot the FMJ stuff.
I gotta teach these young 'uns what a REAL gun is.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
954 Posts
9mm and 45ACP are revolver cartridges.
LOL!!! :giggle: Well, you sure couldn't prove that by looking at my S&W revolver collection.

I get the historically significant "Model of 1917" thang and all, but I have zero interest in obtaining or shooting revolvers made in semi-auto calibers. It does not compute from a practicality viewpoint and certainly not from an economic viewpoint either.

What am I missing here? Can anyone convince me why I need a 9mm S&W revolver? ;)

·
Registered
19,917 Posts
It DOES compute if you are a reloader- much easier retrieving your brass from a revolver! ;) And OAL isn't as critical either

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I went out shootin' with Presh, Baby Dan (my son) and Trinka (My daughter, Preshes Wife). I taught 'em all how to shoot a revolver. They all shot my M340PD loaded with full power .357 Magnum loads (OUCH!).:eek: Also shot my Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman. They all had a good time. Trinka wants top do it again.:cool:
Presh brought his M&P-15. He was shootin' some reloads and it locked up tight. There was a guy there with another AR and he was able to get the round out of the chamber. It was bent!:eek:
Never seen that before.
We had a good time.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a revolver that chambers the 45 ACP round using full moon clips. It started life as a Smith 28-2 but somewhere along the line the barrel and cylinder got changed out for parts off a Model 25. I guess that makes it a poor man's Model 25! Shoots good and is quite accurate.

pix792343135.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I haven't seen any revolver ammo out at the LGS and certainly none at big box stores . The LGS sold me a $40 box .357 mag with 586 few months ago , Georgia Arms has .38spl 158gr SWC $35 50rd limit two.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It DOES compute if you are a reloader- much easier retrieving your brass from a revolver! ;)
That's certainly true. Neither of my local indoor ranges permit brass chasing. Advantage: Revolvers! (y)

But the same applies regardless of what centerfire ammo you are shooting (and wishing to reload) in your revolvers... yes? :unsure:

So to take your point a step further, the postulated advantage must come only if you are all out of revolver ammo but still have some semi-auto ammo available to shoot... and you don't want to lose your semi-auto brass. :unsure:

But then why would a reloader ever be out of (reloaded) revolver ammo? :oops:

I am so confused. o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to a private gun shop and they had NO ammo at all.:eek:
Then I went to Scheels and they only had 9MM, 40 S&W and .45 ACP. No revolver ammo at all.
Whats up with that?:(
Jim
It's profit I'm sure. As ammo manufacturers come back on line with supplies to manufacture, they have to consider demand and profit for their survival.
I'm sure that means 9mm first before .38spc, .357, .SW38. SW32 or many other revolver cartridges.

I'm glad to see a slight downward trend in pricing, hopefully it continues.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The same lack of 38 Special and 357 Magnum is in my area also.
Armslist and estate sales is where I'm finding these rounds.

I do also have a S&W 9mm revolver (uses moon clips). I shoot this a lot when the 9mm is available but the 38 isn't.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
That's certainly true. Neither of my local indoor ranges permit brass chasing. Advantage: Revolvers! (y)

But the same applies regardless of what centerfire ammo you are shooting (and wishing to reload) in your revolvers... yes? :unsure:

So to take your point a step further, the postulated advantage must come only if you are all out of revolver ammo but still have some semi-auto ammo available to shoot... and you don't want to lose your semi-auto brass. :unsure:

But then why would a reloader ever be out of (reloaded) revolver ammo? :oops:

I am so confused. o_O
You can actually buy brass catchers for those black guns that capture the spent case and they fit right on the weapon itself. I have one on my Mini 14. Holds about 100 cases.

The local 'sportsmen's club that I don't belong to (for reasons I won't get into here) but I still shoot at don't allow range pickups either. That is so members can 'police' the range and pick up the brass for personal use. I cheat them out of it. I'm finding OF brass is getting hard to come by as well. Just bought 1000 .223 cases from a supplier on the other side of the country and talk about mixed headstamps and dented cases, I had that in spades plus there were about 2 dozen 556 cases mixed in. I resized them to .223 but a couple went to the scrap can anyway. I did about 50% more prep than I usually do on them to get them viable for reloading. Gone btw. Have a small number of people that buy my handloads because I build them just like I build my big game reloads.... very carefully, one at a time. Every charge hits the Ohaus and the automatic (electric eye controlled powder trickler. If I load 22 grains in a case, all of them are at 22 grains +- 1/10 grain overall. Trimmed all of them to SAMMI specs with my specialized Little Crow case trimmer chucked in one of the floor lathes, cut the pockets (some were crimped some weren't but I cut them all as a matter of reloading). Wet media tumbled for 6 hours to get them clean (they were filthy), the annealed all the necks and FL resized all of them in RCBS competition dies, charged them and seated the bullets with an RCBS front load micrometer bullet seater with a custom machined (by me) seating stem. Finally, I crimped all the necks with a Lee Collet crimp die. I crimp all my .223's because I know they will be shot in black guns and I don't want any recoil setting back any bullets.

There are more than enough people who know I do quality work and never leave anything to chance, that I could sell handloads, as many as I wanted to but I limit them to 1000 units and I always tell them to save the brass, because I want it back. It's on 'loan' so to speak.

I don't see it (components or propellant) getting any better for a long, long time and if it ever comes back like it was, the cost isn't gonna come down that much, if at all. reason I say that is because retailers know they can get what they ask so why cut the price.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don't see it (components or propellant) getting any better for a long, long time and if it ever comes back like it was, the cost isn't gonna come down that much, if at all. reason I say that is because retailers know they can get what they ask so why cut the price.
And with Jimmy Carter-style inflation coming back under Dementia Joe, prices for everything are going up... so a perfect reason/excuse for continuing sky high ammo and component prices too, right? :(

So where is this all going? I've been shut out of my chosen hobby for about a year now and even shut out of the gun collecting aspect of it since January. Truthfully, I am beginning to lose interest. I can't afford to shoot and I can't afford to collect... so what's the point? Time to take up bird watching? :oops:

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Just had another 1000 rounds of .223 go out the door at .70 cents a round. If I had 10,000, I could sell all of them. I don't and I keep 2000 for my personal use.

Brass is hard to get and what I do get takes a huge amount of prep to make it useable.

I don't foresee prices coming down much, if any.

Far as guns go, other than finding a B14 in 223 or 300 Win Mag, I have no desire to buy anything. B14's with a Monte Carlo stock are very rare. Don't want one of those popular adjustable stocks. For hunting only.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts