Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I saw this old Smith at a pawn shop today and have been wanting one like it. I believe it's priced to high plus
a few things look suspicious though on the butt. Looks like maybe someone tried to re-stamp on the butt and maybe on the frame when the cylinder is open.
Any help would be appreciated. If it checks out I was thinking about making an offer.
I also can't figure out what year it was made. I forgot to take a picture under the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the numbers when the cylinder is open are 74718 and above that is the number 15
On the right side of the sling swivel looks like a W3 or WB I can't tell and then looks like some scaring and maybe the letter P

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
It's a British service revolver from 1941 or 1942. It's priced way too high in my opinion. It's probably been reamed for 38 Smith & Wesson special. The only way to tell is to drop a 38 Special in the cylinder and see if it fully inserts. Nevertheless, it's worth about $400 in my opinion.

Guy

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum and agree 400 is tops.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
By the way on a handgun it's called a lanyard ring and not a sling swivel.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Woodman,
The butt stamp on that revolver is actually 4 different stamps piled on top of each other.

The first three are American stamps, the WB, P, and the flaming bomb shown here:

The fourth, the over-stamp appears to be a British proof stamp that you may be able to match up to one of these:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts