Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for reviews of the "newest" EZ - the 9mm and they are few and far between, with most being first impressions by blog/article writers.

Any legitimate "user" reviews you can find and post here will be much appreciated.

Background and reason for this request:

I have a friend who is doing well with her M&P .22 compact and will be ready for a larger caliber gun in a while. I'm not sure of her exact age but she is brand new to shooting within the past 4 months, and I think in her mid 60's. I know that the 9mm EZ is so new that there are probably few reviews, but there should be SOME, somewhere, from actual people who have used it - preferably women or older men with strength problems. I give no credit at all to young, strong women or to most men when it comes to a valid review of a gun which is designed for people with reduced hand and arm strength. I actually did read one on line "magazine" review that noted the slide is harder to rack and the recoil is noticeably stronger than the EZ .380. This is not surprising. I still would like to read reviews from the real people for whom the EZ series was designed.

I know that anyone who buys this gun now or in the next several months is volunteering to be a beta tester and I won't recommend it to my friend at this point in time.

So far the two 9mm I think she should try (in addition to the Glock 43 which she has already tried) are the M&P 9mm compact and the Glock 19. And the new EZ 9mm if there is one to try anywhere nearby.

She has shot my EZ .380, my SIG P238 and my Glock 42. She may wind up having to buy a .380 if the 9mm recoil is too much for her to handle and keep her grip tight and sights lined up. Fortunately she is not in a big hurry, but I think she doesn't want to wait a year or two for a home defense and possible carry gun either.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
LGS has both .380 & 9 EZ in stock. I tried the actions & they're both considerably easier to work the slide than the M&P's. The 9 is a bit stiffer than the .380 but still pretty light. I don't care for grip safeties but they are better for defense guns than thumb safeties. I can't speak about recoil since I haven't shot either one. IMNVHO the M&P 9 is far superior to anything Glock ever made. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Going from the compact 22, to an EZ380 or 9mm would be a good move since the guns frames are about the same size. Hopefully they got most of the bugs worked out with the 380 version

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going from the compact 22, to an EZ380 or 9mm would be a good move since the guns frames are about the same size. Hopefully they got most of the bugs worked out with the 380 version
My .380 EZ has been mostly flawless and it was a very early one. Yes, I admit to being a beta tester - on the EZ and also on the Glock 42 when it first came out. The Glock did have to go back to have parts replaced to make it "Glockish" - lower that initial 9 pound trigger pull to 6 pounds where it should have been in the first place. I can NOT rack the slide on my 42, but can on my "former" Glock 19, so it is still not user friendly for someone with greatly reduced hand strength. However, when I first got it I was younger and a lot stronger and my right hand was still usable and I had not problems racking or shooting it. Only after 4 years when my right hand got so bad I couldn't use it anymore did I have major problems using it. I still carry it sometimes because it is as accurate for me as ever it was.

The only problem I've had with the EZ is one time, recently, the last round in one magazine (of six of them) stovepiped, but after I thoroughly cleaned the magazines it was fine again. (That's a DOH....U) WELL, that plus you can't load a full magazine with one in the chamber unless the safety is on and mine doesn't have a safety lever, so you have to shoot it to slide lock before you can pop the empty mag out and load a new one. For me this makes it a fun range gun only - not for competition or for SD.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LGS has both .380 & 9 EZ in stock. I tried the actions & they're both considerably easier to work the slide than the M&P's. The 9 is a bit stiffer than the .380 but still pretty light. I don't care for grip safeties but they are better for defense guns than thumb safeties. I can't speak about recoil since I haven't shot either one. IMNVHO the M&P 9 is far superior to anything Glock ever made. Hope this helps.
Yes, it helps a lot. It tells me that it is on the list now for my friend to try one before she makes any decision on her next gun.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is why I'm interested in the EZ 9mm. She is very comfortable with the grip size and shape of her M&P .22 compact. She has done OK with the other guns she has shot, all of which have different size and shape grips, but she is not a true natural and the easier I can help her make things, the better it will be. She IS serious about learning to shoot well and consistently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own an M&P .22 compact. I love it. I also own a Shield 9mm 1.0 and an EZ380.

I have almost 5K rounds through my Shield with no issues that were not operator malfunction. My biggest complaint with this gun was the difficulty racking the slide, especially after shooting for a while.
I'm one of those that will clean a gun after I shoot it every time, I don't care if I have a single round fired or 500. I'm going to clean it when I get home.
My carpel tunnels have been getting worse and worse. I have significant trouble racking the slide on my Shield, and it's almost impossible after shooting a while.

I purchased the EZ380 because I liked the idea of something easy to rack, easy to shoot, etc. etc. etc.

Enter the EZ9. I was able to play with one at my local range. I put about 150 rounds through it, and I will be purchasing one for myself.
It combines all the good of the Shield and EZ platforms and puts it all together in an excellent easy platform that works well.
I found the accuracy to be on par with both my Sheild and EZ380; that is to say, any issues were because of me.

I may not be the age range you're looking for, as I'm a 47 y/o male. I did want to add my perspective on this excellent gun, though.

Exco

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all so far for the feedback. I do think she should try the new EZ 9mm, along with a couple others that I've picked out that might be good ones for her. She's still not ready, but after our last range trip this past Monday I think she is getting a lot closer. She is getting a lot more confident in her own ability. Hanging two empty plastic gallon jugs with twine was the best thing I could have done for her because every time she got a hit she got instant feedback and knew exactly which shots were not just right and could make immediate corrections. It was not a bit windy so all jug movement was from hits.

I shot several different steel targets, but I had fun with the jugs too! I love to make those things dance and keep shooting them while they are moving around. It doesn't take much to make me happy, does it? (other than a BUNCH of ammo and a few good guns......)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have both the .380 and a recently purchased 9mm. If I'm a beta tester , so be it. The 9mm is everything the .380 is but has a few features lacking on the .380. I've only had opportunity to put about 400 rounds through the 9 but it's functioned perfectly so far. Recoil even with Gold Dot +P ammo is not a problem and accuracy if spot on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have sever hand arthritis and grabbed 380 EZ last year and love the gun and am able to use it easily. The 9MM EZ I purchased on Dec.21 and am happy with being able to move up to 9mm round.
Have had both at the range and compared the recoil of both side by side and the 9 is just a tad more recoil,barely noticeable in my humble opinion, had they both been available at same time I would have bought the 9mm, but on the up side I got two guns in the house with the boss's blessing. weiweinp
And by sever hand arthritis it was bad enough to be disabled and into retirement.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
My ElPaso Saddlery high ride belt holster fits both my .380 and 9mm EZs. It has a tension screw and I just backed it off a bit and the 9 fits fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife got a 9mm EZ on the recommendation of her firearm instructor. Actually, she bought a Performance Center EZ model. The PC version has a problem with the aluminum hand grip (the sharp pointy upper corner that can't be depressed all the way into the grip). After I had it replaced with a plastic grip safety from a regular EZ it transformed into the best handgun in my collection. Phenomenal trigger, deadly accurate, soft shooting, minimal muzzle flip, no problems with any ammo I threw at it. And really easy to rack the slide! Love it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts