Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking a lot recently about adding to the collection. Criteria is a stainless 6" in .357 mag that was made old-school. Something that would stand up in comparison to Colt's old-style Python, not the new laser-guided modern-day manufactured stuff. I'm not as knowledgeable on the wheel-guns the way they were made by master gun smiths of the day so if anyone has any recommendation... something that won't cost me $3500 hopefully... but at this point, price aside, what direction would y'all point me to?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any 686 ending at -5. I have a 686 .357 Mountain Gun made in 1998, which is a -5. It does not have the lock but has MIM parts, which a lot of people detest.. I believe -5 686's were the last ones before the lock was incorporated in the design.. Just my personal opinion, but I don't want one with the lock; they changed the frame design under the hammer which detracts from its appearance. No failures of mishaps with mine in several hundred rounds, both 38 and .357. Hard to beat an older 686 as far as durability and performance. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
All of the above mentioned are excellent choices. If you want something comparable to the Python the 686 (stainless) or 586 (blued) are L frames and would be your best choice. The 627 or 27 and the 28 are N Frames and are excellent guns on a little larger frame. Do not think could go wrong with any of them.
686-6 with IL

28-2

The 27-2 is an 8 3/8 barrel

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Here's a 6" Model 686 with the 7 round cylinder. I also have a 4" 686 no dash. I bought a nice leather 'Tanker' style carry rig for this one that would allow my arms to be free at my sides when using a metal detector out in remote areas of the countryside.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I'm partial to the pre-lock "L" frame 686 too... Great revolvers.

Reactions: Wiseguy and jeepnut

·
Registered
863 Posts
Been thinking a lot recently about adding to the collection. Criteria is a stainless 6" in .357 mag that was made old-school. Something that would stand up in comparison to Colt's old-style Python, not the new laser-guided modern-day manufactured stuff. I'm not as knowledgeable on the wheel-guns the way they were made by master gun smiths of the day so if anyone has any recommendation... something that won't cost me $3500 hopefully... but at this point, price aside, what direction would y'all point me to?
If it has to be stainless I would recommend a 627 over the 686 6". I think the balance is terrible with the full under lug of a 6" 686. If stainless isn't a deal breaker then I'd go with the 28-2. I have two 4" 28-2's, I can't imagine the 6" 28-2 being a bad gun at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mind you she is a 2.5 inch barrel 66-2 but id put her up against any snake gun and she could hold her own View attachment 485211
I've got two blued 2-1/2" M19s, one in SS and a nickle plated one - my ":Texas Barbecue" gun!

I rate all off them above the 4" Python I just bought. Prone, I can keep all 6 rds in the 8" circle of the IDPA target at 50 yds with the pick of the litter.

My two 4" M66s are a 66 and a 66-1, both great guns, but a little light for much .357 shooting. A M27 would be a lot more comfortable with magnum rds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts