Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....found a great W231 load at 5.2 behind 230FMJ , but I've run out and it's hard to find locally right now....

Have Tite Group on hand, looks like moderate load is around 4.6 TG....any suggestions?

This is for bowling pins, general target plinking, and occasional Zombie Patrol Scout.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I like 5.0 Grains of Bullseye in either an ACP case or Auto Rim under a 230-240 grain cast lead slug...

Bullseye is still generally available around these parts whereas Unique and 231 (as well as all of the IMR's) are sold out....

Drew

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look for Hodgdon's HP-38. It IS 231. I find tightgroup to have more felt recoil for the same velocity than HP-38, but it's reasonably clean and shoots straight.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Parson45,

Thank you for the HP-38/W231 reminder. I keep forgetting that they are the same.

I hopped on the TiteGroup bandwagon when it was introduced - and jumped right back off after a pound or so. I was initially enamoured by the potential for small velocity spreads and small groups - but it could never beat my good ol' Bullseye. I thought I noticed the recoil thing mentioned above. I also suspect that it burns too hot for my bullet lubricants. I always got more leading when loading with TG. :|

The fellow who manages my nearby shooting range uses nothing but TiteGroup for all of his target-shooting handgun reloading - everything from .32acp to .44 Magnum. He did the same thing with AA#2 when it first came out, too.

xtm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts