Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just got my first 3006 and I couldn't be more excited! Ive been researching this gun since I got it on trade for an old broken down snowmobile(worth about $500). I know it was made in Japan in the early 80's by howa and that it had a recall(in the process of shipping out). However I cant seem to find the version of mine anywhere. No pictures online or anything. The thing that is throwing me off is the coloration of the wood stock and how the wood stock runs all the way to the end of the barrel. I was wondering if maybe someone put an after market stock on it or not. I also have a 50's 60's FN .243 Win I cant seem to pin a date on with the serial #. I'll include pictures of both and look forward to hearing from some of you guys. THANKS! IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0792.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
Hello.

The stock may be aftermarket since Howa made or makes rifles that are marketed by other gunmakers, including Weatherby.

Can you post a picture of the other markings on the receiver?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh. That is gonna help me majorly with the research. It's a beautiful gun. Shame i have to send it out because of a recall. I wanna fire this thing!

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
I did a quick search and there are a few companies out there still offering Mannlicher stocks for that action.

It should be back to you in short order and we will enjoy shooting it. Those models are undervalued shooters, IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, what is funny is I originally wanted a Weatherby Vangaurd and ended up with this one. Then upon doing some research I found out that they are basically the same gun so I lucked out. Plus I love the wood stock and was gonna have to spend some more money to get that look on the Weatherby.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Great rifle. Back in the day, my brother and I had several of them in .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .30-06. There were two in .223, a heaver barrel varmint rifle and one called a Mountaineer. The heavy barreled rifle was poison easily shooting just about any decent bullet into under MOA for 10 round groups. The little Mountaineer was a delight to carry in the woods. From sandbags it would keep three shots inside MOA. Shoot it a lot and the groups would open up. The .308 and .30-06 were wonderfully accurate. My brother favored the .308 so he bought one. I got the .30-06. There was not a dimes worth of difference in on target results as both rifles would shot under MOA with handloads. Don't know what my brother's gun would do with factory ammo. At the time I couldn't afford to shoot factory ammo so I shot mine w/ handloaded ammo. It was MOA with the handloads. The triggers were adjustable. They came from the factory with some sort of plastic type stuff covering the adjustments. Once that was removed, it was not difficult to get a very nice trigger pull. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I havent had the chance to shoot it because of the recall but thats what I gathered from some youtube videos I watched. Stock guns with cheap scopes and crappy ammo still getting inch groupings at 100 yrds. I cant wait to get out and play with this thing. Gotta get some practice in with it before Elk season. Let's be glad this is an undervalued gun eh? give it 100 years maybe it will be worth something. S&W should have kept making it. I havent tried out any of the newer I-Bolt rifles yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts