Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Looking for more info on the S & W 38 special CTG. Have pics. Serial is on bottom of handle, starts with D256*** . I'm told it's been fired some years ago, but not a whole lot. Seems in pretty good shape.

Any info on year, quality, history or estimated value please?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,849 Posts
Welcome, inside the crane is there a model number such as 10-1 or similar?

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have access to it at the moment to look, but I found a serial list that says that number was made in 1969-1970?... does that help?

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? That much for a S & W 38 special CTG that could be around 40 years old-ish (seems to be in good operating condition, parts seem to move fine)?

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
You revolver is a model 10. S&W made a few million of them, and still makes them, so it is a very common model. In my area it would bring about $450 tops and more likely closer to $400

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much. Another question please.

This one seems well cared for. I wonder about the age. If purchased for home defense, and occasional target practice, how reliable would this be at that age? True, S&W has a great reputation, though I still wonder about a 40-50ish year old revolver being reliable...?

·
Registered
27,158 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Age? I am 65 and still function the way I was built. This revolver was built in1918 and is still reliable and accurate. A 50 year old Model 10 or an even older M&P would be reliable unless someone messed with it or abused it. The one in your photo does not appear to be messed with nor abused.

My Army Model of 1917 built in 1918,

Kevin

·
Registered
19,849 Posts

This one seems well cared for. I wonder about the age. If purchased for home defense, and occasional target practice, how reliable would this be at that age? True, S&W has a great reputation, though I still wonder about a 40-50ish year old revolver being reliable...?
It will be just fine as long as you don't load super hot reloads or similar. Basic 158 LSWC ammo will do a great job for HD/SD

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If everything is in order, it is extremely reliable and will be as long as it is taken care of correctly. The sights are calibrated to be on target at 25 yards with standard 158 gr ammo. Lighter bullet weights will usually shoot lower.
John

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

See this S&W? It was shipped in April 1900. Yep, 120 years ago. It's perfectly reliable and I shoot it frequently. Keep yours clean and lubricated and you'll have no issues with your Model 10.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great. Thank you very much. A little more info on the model please if anyone has it, and some maintenance info needed please.

First, I did look, it says Mod 10-5. From what I was reading, that would indicate made in 1962, but the serial D225*** indicates 1969-70. Another post said that would make it a 5 shot but it holds 6. It may not matter much, but I thought I'd ask if anyone can help clarify? And would this affect the value?

Second, the owner offered a cleaning kit that has 3 rods, 2 brushes and some other little piece. Someone earlier mentioned it would need to be oiled. So I'm also looking for good info on what else do I need and how to keep this well maintained. Videos would be good to look at, but I'm also looking for type so I have something to download/copy for future reference please.

Thank you very much.

And than you for the "welcome" notes too :) .

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clarification.. type = text.. Also looking for text to download/copy for future reference.

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
12,695 Posts
These are very well made revolvers, and the ones from that period are made to literally last multiple lifetimes if they are not abused. These were better made than many modern pistols and revolvers.

The only concern I have is that it might be refinished, which would eliminate some of it's value. It's hard to tell without it in hand to look at the finish, but the gloss and some of the appearance might indicate it's been redone.

Mechanically, if kept properly lubricated it should be fine. You should check it for various types of wear, including cylinder end shake and wear when in battery. Ensure that it indexes properly to every cylinder.

Are you in the USA or in Germany? That would also impact value.

·
Registered
19,849 Posts
Clarification.. type = text.. Also looking for text to download/copy for future reference.

Thank you very much.
Kuhnhausen's manual:

Written by someone who knows S&Ws.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does brand really matter when buying ammo for this?
ie: Armscor, LRN, etc?

What about gr?
ie: I see 130gr, 158gr, etc

Type of point?
ie: hollow, etc

Thank you very much

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Brand doesnt matter so much but the fixed sights are calibrated for 158gr ammo, but other weight bullets wont hurt the gun

1 - 20 of 20 Posts