Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, First time post here with at least three years of browsing. I picked this 32 S&W revolver up a few years back and started to look for some info on it, I couldn't really find much and gave up. I was cleaning the gun safe out this past weekend and i find myself looking again. So here is what i have so far. Serial number #260228 is on the front of the handle on the frame, the cylinder, underside of the barrel, and written on the backside of the left grip. I would assume the grips are original with the serial number on them. On the frame of the gun behind the grip is a small 42 stamped next to a pin that the grip sits in. I would also assume the nickel is original since the Hammer, trigger and ejector star is not nickel.It seems to be in fairly decent shape. All the dirt behind the grips wiped right off for the most part. If any other pics can help at all let me know and i can add more! I'm just kind of looking to see what i have here, and maybe an estimate of it's age. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks again!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
The following info is from History of Smith & Wesson (Revised Tenth Anniversary Edition) by Roy G. Jinks [originally published in 1977 as part of S&W's 125th Anniversary Commemoration]. Roy was S&W's official historian from 1970 to at least 2009.

'32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 Fifth Change
Incorporated 1910, produced until 1917. Serial number range 102,501 to 263,000.

The "5th change" refers to internal changes, as the external appearance of the vast majority of Hand Ejector Models in virtually identical (again, according to Roy's book).

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your obtaining a classic revolver.:cool:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Looks like it may be a Regulation Police with a bit of "doctoring" on the grips. Note: serial on the forward area of the grip frame and notched grip???

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
This is a .32 Regulation Police. These guns ran from 260000 to 536000 built from 1917 to 1942. The numbers ran concurrently with the .32 Hand Ejector Third Model. With a number so close to the start of production it's a pretty sure bet that your gun was built in 1917. The grips are not correct and should be square butt with checkering and medallions. The bottom of the left stock would be stamped with the patent date of June 5th 1917.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
This is a .32 Regulation Police. These guns ran from 260000 to 536000 built from 1917 to 1942. The numbers ran concurrently with the .32 Hand Ejector Third Model. With a number so close to the start of production it's a pretty sure bet that your gun was built in 1917. The grips are not correct and should be square butt with checkering and medallions. The bottom of the left stock would be stamped with the patent date of June 5th 1917.
Yep. The S/N on the forward grip strap makes it a Regulation Police. Based on the S/N it's a 1917 gun. ( I have a RP 6000 up from yours that's from October 1917). Even with the modified/replaced grips it's a great catch!

Grips should look like this:

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Waidmann is correct. The step on the back strap of the grip frame is the tip off. The original grips look like this.

IMG_1303 (2).JPG

These style grips were patented by S&W. Sometimes referred to as extension grips they were designed specifically for the 32 and 38 Regulation Police I frames. The 32 RP revolvers were numbered in the same serial range as the 3rd model 32 Hand Ejectors, going from 260,000 to 536,000 and, were made from 1917 to 1942. You have a very early model 32 Regulation Police made in 1917.

Oops, I'm a little late on this post but WTH the more the merrier. I'll add that the original grips or, more properly, stocks on your gun may not have had a patent date stamped on the bottom as they were made before the Nov 1917 patent date. I have a 38 RP that was made May or June of 1917 and the stocks are not stamped.
And yes, a good find, regardless of the lack of original stocks. Keep an eye out on Ebay for a set. They actually are more comfortable for shooting than the round butt style.

John

Reactions: lawdog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the info, It helped me out tremendously!! What do you guys think of the finish? original?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Sure looks original to me. When the hammer and trigger are still color cased and the ejector star is still blue it's 90% certain that the gun hasn't been refinished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone for the help, It's greatly appreciated!!

I guess the next question is did i do ok for 400?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Regulation Police is equivalent to the Engineering design of the 32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 -5th Change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts