Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that was left to me by my late father is a S&W 38 Special CTG with 4" Barrel. I found a serial number on the bottom butt of the frame. How can I find out more about this gun, when it was made and the approximate value? It shinny like nickel or stainless steel. The number on the bottom isD562235.
Can anybody help me find where to get information on this fine piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on it form.
With best regards,

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
It was built somewhere in 1973-74. Can't nail down the date because the catalog only shows serial and date ranges. Yours should probably fall in late 73, or early 74 besed on the serial number range.
Swing open the cylinder and let us know the model number. It will be stamped onto the crane area, and easy to find there. It is probably a model 10- (something) Should look like MOD. 10-5, or something very similar

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Or maybe a Model 13-1. I have one with serial number D770XXX from 1975 or so.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi Markle,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was built somewhere in 1973-74. Can't nail down the date because the catalog only shows serial and date ranges. Yours should probably fall in late 73, or early 74 besed on the serial number range.
Swing open the cylinder and let us know the model number. It will be stamped onto the crane area, and easy to find there. It is probably a model 10- (something) Should look like MOD. 10-5, or something very similar
It does have 10-5 stamped in it. Any idea what this would be worth in good condition?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Depending on condition most Model 10s bring around $450 - $500. If yours is original nickel it could bring more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. How would I know if it's original nickel? I think it is but would like to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Value would be worth somewhere around $500 +/-. If it's a family gun, there is no price that will cover it's true value. Hopefully you're asking about the value to insure it, and not to sell it. The saddest posts we see here are the ones where somebody sold a gun that they inherited 5-10-20 years ago, and would give anything to have it back, now that the value of the person has increased exponentially, and the value of their memory exceeds even that.
Sometimes in our lives, we lose sight of the true value of things connected by a memory, and hindsight is sometimes a painful reminder of what is most valuable to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Value would be worth somewhere around $500 +/-. If it's a family gun, there is no price that will cover it's true value. Hopefully you're asking about the value to insure it, and not to sell it. The saddest posts we see here are the ones where somebody sold a gun that they inherited 5-10-20 years ago, and would give anything to have it back, now that the value of the person has increased exponentially, and the value of their memory exceeds even that.
Sometimes in our lives, we lose sight of the true value of things connected by a memory, and hindsight is sometimes a painful reminder of what is most valuable to us.
Thanks. I have such great memories of my Dad - he was awesome. I'm getting on up there in my years and considerung selling it and giving the money to my Mom while she is still alive and healthy.

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Post some photos here of both sides of the gun with the grips removed. There are usually tell tale signs if refinished.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well the big N on the left side of the grip frame tells us that the finish was nickel when new and I see no signs of a refinish so I would say your gun is completely original. Some Flitz or Mothers Mag Polish will really make that nickel shine. Very Nice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the big N on the left side of the grip frame tells us that the finish was nickel when new and I see no signs of a refinish so I would say your gun is completely original. Some Flitz or Mothers Mag Polish will really make that nickel shine. Very Nice!
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts