Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,134 Posts
Speer 124 GD JHP is what I use in my carry guns.
TMJs and FMJs will give you great penetration. Your only worry will be if you miss and then they go through a wall.
Yes HPs are legal here in FL>

Reactions: Rcope822

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
Where are hollow points still illegal? I thought that using them for self defense was pretty much settled across the nation.
I'm guessing it's also in a state where getting a concealed carry permit or license is extremely difficult, if not impossible. You must live in a state run by left wing liberals that still think guns are only for outlaws and cops.
I'll need to avoid those states at all cost I guess.
I can't imagine carrying my gun without hollow point ammo in it.
Back in the 70's I lived in Michigan, and hollow point was forbidden. We used to take a small thin saw and cut lines into the top of our bullets. We had flat nosed jacketed bullets, and it was very easy to score them.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
There are 3 that I can think of right off. All of these are available without +P pressures.
Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Personal Defense with HST bullets.

Reactions: trashy

·
Registered
26,134 Posts
I believe NJ is illegal for HPs........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TMJs and FMJs will give you great penetration. Your only worry will be if you miss and then they go through a wall.
Thanks for the recommendation Abby’sDad. Hopefull, if someone uninvited is in my house I won’t miss but I don’t really want to take a change of injuring someone outside of my house,

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hollow point misses will zip right through walls, too, and the 'miss' rate is very high in gunfights. FBI shootout in Miami was something like 90% misses and this was with 'trained' shooters.

·
Registered
26,134 Posts
True but that shoot out was in public, not inside a home where, hopefully, you have the edge because you know the layout, etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tend to use the 147 grain hollow point ammo, usually by Remington. Since there is no way to get good velocity out of a short barrel, I figure I might as well use the heavy bullets. They work well in all the 9mm pistols I own so they should work in your Smith EZ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has any one found a good hollow point defensive round for 9mm EZ that does not jam? Per S&W manual no +P for the 9mm EZ
Shine2911 •• Did you ever find a good round like the suggested Hornady CD?

I found encountered three different round manufacturers in which the leading edge of the hollow point bullet contacts on and sticks on the face of the chamber ramp.

I'm still looking for a solution and getting tired of buying expensive ammo that is not returnable.

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
I bought some 115Gr. JHP 9mm. from Georgia Arms. It std. vel........same as their 115 Gr FMJ practice ammo. It's got a wide hollow point cavity, that should open easily, and not penetrate walls, or people. That's my summer load.

For winter carry, I use Win. 147Gr. JHP 9mm. for better penetration.

I use a Ruger LC9s for carry. It works with anything. Don't know about EZ9. Bob

·
Registered
696 Posts
My choice for my .45 is Federal HST's based on the Lucky Gunner tests. This might help you make a decision. BTW, the EZ is a great choice.

Hector

1 - 20 of 20 Posts