Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting out: I have two M&P .22 compacts which I thoroughly enjoy. They are reliable, accurate, fun and mostly not ammo picky except they will NOT shoot Geco brand. My Browning 1911-22 will shoot the Geco all day, after I spend a lot time with paper towels cleaning the thick layer of gunk off of each individual round. Now on to my shopping day......

I've been house bound for a while and have really been wanting to get "to town" to see if I could find a Taurus TX22 that so many people have said is fun to shoot and reliable. Feeling ever so much better today, and it being cold and misty, it was a good day to do some looky-feely stuff. Hubby went along.

We went to 4 privately owned gun stores. There is one more, but they don't usually have much of interest. There are also 2 or 3 chain stores but I was not interested in going to them.

The first place was our favorite LGS. We have dealt with the owner for over 20 years and they are really good people. They are the ones who sold that Baby Rock so quickly for me. Gramps currently has a gun on order with them also.

They have a lot of guns in their cases. A lot! There were all calibers and sizes of many brands, some new and some used. They had a beautiful black Kimber full size Raptor for around $1200 which is not out of line for that particular model. They didn't have what I thought I might want, so after checking out everything we proceeded onward.

Then we went to a small store which I've only been to a couple times but it is the favorite of one of my friends. No customers in there so we chatted a bit. They didn't have a lot of guns but what they had were nice ones. I mentioned sort of looking for another .22 toy and the fellow reached in the case and brought out a Kel-Tec CP33with a 33 round magazine. My one son recently bought one and says that even though the reviews are spotty, for him it is reliable and a real blast to be able to crank off 33 rounds without changing magazines.
www.keltecweapons.com

CP33 - KelTec

www.keltecweapons.com
It has fiber optic sights and points naturally and has a really light, crisp trigger pull. It is also unbelievably ugly and rather enormous looking, since the back end of the slide sticks out WAY FAR from the grip. The grip was very uncomfortable also. Interesting, but definitely not for me!

The next store was the one where I had traded in my Bersa BP380cc for my Shield EZ. They are also nice folks. They have always priced their guns at MSR and still do. Nothing there I was interested in asking to handle, so on to the last place.

The last place we went is the store where I ordered my Browning 1911-22 Black Label, using one of my Glock 42's as a down payment. It is also the one with the indoor range where my friends and I shoot when the weather is too bad to use our outdoor club facilities. They still have a good selection of guns - a LOT of Glocks, but quite a few other guns of various brands and calibers also. Their prices run full MSR or a bit higher but not to the true gouging point. LO AND BEHOLD, they had one Taurus TX22. So the young lady got it out of the case for me to hold, etc. What a shocker: That darned thing wanted to point high - I mean WAY HIGH. I'm used to guns that point more or less naturally, but this one took me five times from "at my side" to shooting position before I ever got the front sight almost lined up properly. And then there was the trigger. I can't tell you what the trigger pull strength was. I can tell you that it didn't want to move backwards! Finally it did. CLICK. And back into the case it went. I commented, "It sure isn't like a Browning!" and the young lady laughed out loud and said "Hardly anything is!"

SO, other than paying for the case of ammo I bought on a credit card last month, our tax refund is mostly still in our checking account, and there is something to be said for that.

If you know anyone who lives in or near east TN, the gun stores in Crossville are decently stocked with guns (no ammo) and they are all good folks. There were lots of long guns also but we didn't spend much time looking at any of them.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
With the BL 1911-22 you've already got the cream of the crop. Maybe a 22 revolver to switch it up a little?

Or a Hi Standard? They show up on GB.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a Ruger SR22 since 2013 and had no problems with it..fun little plinker and quite accurate
One of my friends has an SR22 and loves it. I tried it once and hated it. It is that typical Ruger "From Chicago to New York" long trigger pull. Hers seemed to be not ammo picky until I gave her a box of Aguila Super Extra and that gun positively would NOT shoot that ammo.

Isn't it great that there are so many different makes and models from which to choose?

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
As scarce and edpensive as .22lr has gotten, a gun with a 33 round mag could get real expensive to shoot these days!
I have left my 22 semi pistols and rifles in the safe and prefer to shoot my Model 17s; 6 shots, single action, nice and slow makes the fun last a lot longer.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
As scarce and edpensive as .22lr has gotten, a gun with a 33 round mag could get real expensive to shoot these days!
I have left my 22 semi pistols and rifles in the safe and prefer to shoot my Model 17s; 6 shots, single action, nice and slow makes the fun last a lot longer.
Not if you bought 1000 rounds a year for the last 8 years ;)

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Here's one for you- if you can find one.

CZ Kadet

·
Registered
21,905 Posts
I got a Kel-Tec P-17 for 175.00 out the door, 3 17 rd mags and has not found anything it will not shoot. Extremely easy to carry and just plain fun to plink around with. You have the others for serious stuff.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Leave the Taurus alone. I would vote for the Ruger MK IV. I just bought this one. It might be a contender.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I'm a sucker for cheap thrills - those Keltec P17s sound fun but no one has them around here.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
With the BL 1911-22 you've already got the cream of the crop.
I had no idea that the Browning 1911-22 was that good. Only fellow I knew who bought one had a lot of trouble with it, but I never got to try one out myself. Maybe that Black Label thang makes all the difference?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've had quite a few .22 handguns. S&W M17 or M18 are the ones I like and shoot the best. They can teach you a lot about double action as well as single action shooting. They became my go-to guns for hunting rabbits being chased by beagles and six shots was always plenty.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ruger MKIV
I have a Mark IV Lite 22/45. After two trips back to Ruger plus untold hours working on the magazines to FINALLY get them to work, plus around $200 spent on Volquartsen and Tandemkross parts, the gun works great now. Unfortunately it was too much work and too much extra money for a gun which should work out of the box. I simply do not like it anymore: It was a falling out of love process, with no positive feelings left at all. Fortunately, hubby has been enjoying it and shooting it regularly in the weekly friendly competition shoots at our outdoor club. I don't even consider it my gun anymore. It is his.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had no idea that the Browning 1911-22 was that good. Only fellow I knew who bought one had a lot of trouble with it, but I never got to try one out myself. Maybe that Black Label thang makes all the difference?
Mine shot WAY high when I got it. I tried 6 different brands of ammo with all the same results although some were marginally better than others. She went back to Browning (with details of the problem plus target pictures) and after a few weeks wait they "recalibrated" the barrel (???) and it has been spot on ever since. In fact, she is now so accurate and reliable, and makes such a pretty bell-like ping on steel targets that her name is now "Isabelle Ringer."

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
We have several thousand trouble free rounds through ours- and that's mostly with little kids using it. It's our go-to for "kids first pistol".

·
Registered
530 Posts
Starting out: I have two M&P .22 compacts which I thoroughly enjoy. They are reliable, accurate, fun and mostly not ammo picky except they will NOT shoot Geco brand. My Browning 1911-22 will shoot the Geco all day, after I spend a lot time with paper towels cleaning the thick layer of gunk off of each individual round. Now on to my shopping day......

I've been house bound for a while and have really been wanting to get "to town" to see if I could find a Taurus TX22 that so many people have said is fun to shoot and reliable. Feeling ever so much better today, and it being cold and misty, it was a good day to do some looky-feely stuff. Hubby went along.

We went to 4 privately owned gun stores. There is one more, but they don't usually have much of interest. There are also 2 or 3 chain stores but I was not interested in going to them.

The first place was our favorite LGS. We have dealt with the owner for over 20 years and they are really good people. They are the ones who sold that Baby Rock so quickly for me. Gramps currently has a gun on order with them also.

They have a lot of guns in their cases. A lot! There were all calibers and sizes of many brands, some new and some used. They had a beautiful black Kimber full size Raptor for around $1200 which is not out of line for that particular model. They didn't have what I thought I might want, so after checking out everything we proceeded onward.

Then we went to a small store which I've only been to a couple times but it is the favorite of one of my friends. No customers in there so we chatted a bit. They didn't have a lot of guns but what they had were nice ones. I mentioned sort of looking for another .22 toy and the fellow reached in the case and brought out a Kel-Tec CP33with a 33 round magazine. My one son recently bought one and says that even though the reviews are spotty, for him it is reliable and a real blast to be able to crank off 33 rounds without changing magazines.
www.keltecweapons.com

CP33 - KelTec

www.keltecweapons.com
It has fiber optic sights and points naturally and has a really light, crisp trigger pull. It is also unbelievably ugly and rather enormous looking, since the back end of the slide sticks out WAY FAR from the grip. The grip was very uncomfortable also. Interesting, but definitely not for me!

The next store was the one where I had traded in my Bersa BP380cc for my Shield EZ. They are also nice folks. They have always priced their guns at MSR and still do. Nothing there I was interested in asking to handle, so on to the last place.

The last place we went is the store where I ordered my Browning 1911-22 Black Label, using one of my Glock 42's as a down payment. It is also the one with the indoor range where my friends and I shoot when the weather is too bad to use our outdoor club facilities. They still have a good selection of guns - a LOT of Glocks, but quite a few other guns of various brands and calibers also. Their prices run full MSR or a bit higher but not to the true gouging point. LO AND BEHOLD, they had one Taurus TX22. So the young lady got it out of the case for me to hold, etc. What a shocker: That darned thing wanted to point high - I mean WAY HIGH. I'm used to guns that point more or less naturally, but this one took me five times from "at my side" to shooting position before I ever got the front sight almost lined up properly. And then there was the trigger. I can't tell you what the trigger pull strength was. I can tell you that it didn't want to move backwards! Finally it did. CLICK. And back into the case it went. I commented, "It sure isn't like a Browning!" and the young lady laughed out loud and said "Hardly anything is!"

SO, other than paying for the case of ammo I bought on a credit card last month, our tax refund is mostly still in our checking account, and there is something to be said for that.

If you know anyone who lives in or near east TN, the gun stores in Crossville are decently stocked with guns (no ammo) and they are all good folks. There were lots of long guns also but we didn't spend much time looking at any of them.
The TX-22 is a very good gun. I’ve shot one maybe 4-5 times.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Do your Research!

Available .22lrs may be pretty and desirable but they maybe troublesome.
Some Kil-tec models need extensive work to solve feed problems. While these are documented, the remediation has a cost.
I wanted a POF-USA Rebel 22 but research showed a number issues that I didn't want to deal with.

I purchased a Taurus TX22 and it was the most-fun pistol I had every shot. I like it so much that I purchased a second Taurus TX22. I have seen about five in LGSs since the corona virus hit. The Taurus TX22 is worth the wait if money is an issue. If money isn't an issue, buy whatever-you-like to play with and buy the TX22 when becomes available. (Both of mine were around $250 + tax + state check.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts