Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks like Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore online has some .40 police trade ins Glock, Sig and Beretta. Look under used guns. I've done business in the past with them and it's always worked out alright.
I have seen their web site and they do have some decent non-plastic Sigs in the $500 range, mas o menos.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Without looking those up, are any of them non-polymer?

They are all polymer frame pistols, the H&K and Beretta are nice if you prefer hammer fired to striker fired.

Reactions: Thewelshm and 5150

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
They are all polymer frame pistols, the H&K and Beretta are nice if you prefer hammer fired to striker fired.
I do prefer hammer fired, along with metal (steel or alloy) over polymer. Don't know why, maybe cuz I grew up with guns in the days b4 polymer.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi folks,
I recently came into some reloading dies and other stuff for .40 S&W so I thought I would find something to shoot with the ammo. Any recommendations on an all-metal (i.e., non polymer/plastic), new or used, .40? I would prefer a full-sized one but that's necessarily a deal breaker. I have a Ruger P85 and P90 so I was thinking either a P91 or P94 would do, but I'm not locked into those. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

Of the various .40S&W autos I've owned or carried on duty over the years, my 2 absolute favorites were a Browning Hi-Power and a SIG P239.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Of the various .40S&W autos I've owned or carried on duty over the years, my 2 absolute favorites were a Browning Hi-Power and a SIG P239.
I wasn't aware that the Browning came in .40. Who knew?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks,
I recently came into some reloading dies and other stuff for .40 S&W so I thought I would find something to shoot with the ammo. Any recommendations on an all-metal (i.e., non polymer/plastic), new or used, .40? I would prefer a full-sized one but that's necessarily a deal breaker. I have a Ruger P85 and P90 so I was thinking either a P91 or P94 would do, but I'm not locked into those. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

If you are relying on reloads make sure you can get primers. I have heard that the price is crazy, if you can get them, up to $.75 each which makes reloading silly. I have a S&W .22 pistol which I like but I also have Rugers which are a good bang-for-the-buck: .22 MK III, .45 P345PR stainless and .357 stainless Match Champion. I had a Glock 22 in .40 but I didn't like it. Not very accurate and the trigger safety kept digging into my finger. If a P91 or P94 is comparable to the P345PR that sounds good. It was a while ago but I paid $399 for the P345PR stainless and I like it.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you are relying on reloads make sure you can get primers. I have heard that the price is crazy, if you can get them, up to $.75 each which makes reloading silly. I have a S&W .22 pistol which I like but I also have Rugers which are a good bang-for-the-buck: .22 MK III, .45 P345PR stainless and .357 stainless Match Champion. I had a Glock 22 in .40 but I didn't like it. Not very accurate and the trigger safety kept digging into my finger. If a P91 or P94 is comparable to the P345PR that sounds good. It was a while ago but I paid $399 for the P345PR stainless and I like it.
I have plenty of powder & primers for the other calibers I reload. I've never owned a .40 so I just thought it might be something different. Nothing fancy, just a range gun. Aside from the P-series Rugers I've been looking at the Sig P229 and the S&W 4006 (or a couple of variants of that).

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I have plenty of powder & primers for the other calibers I reload. I've never owned a .40 so I just thought it might be something different. Nothing fancy, just a range gun. Aside from the P-series Rugers I've been looking at the Sig P229 and the S&W 4006 (or a couple of variants of that).

basically 10 mm enjoy mate..

thewelshm

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yep - .40 S&W = 10mm short.
Or, 10mm = .40 S&W Long!

They both use the same bullets.

;) :p
So, is the 10mm the .40 S&W Magnum, or,
is the .40 S&W the 10mm Kurz, or both? :rolleyes:

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
377 Posts
...the latter, due to the chicken/egg principle. 😉
So, is the 10mm the .40 S&W Magnum, or,
is the .40 S&W the 10mm Kurz, or both? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
10mm Auto - introduced 1983. Derived from the .30 Remington case. Case length 25mm.
During FBI testing in 1988 a reduced-power load was developed to reduce felt recoil to the level most FBI agents found acceptable. Only usable in large-framed pistols and revolvers.

.40 S&W - introduced 1990 as a shorter-cased (22mm) substitute for the "10mm FBI" load, so as to be usable in more pistol designs - specifically the medium-frame pistols currently firing 9mm.

The bullets are identical, and interchangeable (for example, Hornady specifically labels its offerings with '10mm/.400" '.

Neither is to be confused with the 10mm Magnum (31.9mm case length). Introduced in 1992 in the Automag IV. Basically a lengthened 10mm Auto. Uses the same bullets as the .40 S&W and 10mm Auto.

A number of revolvers are set up to fire all 3 cartridges from the same cylinder, moon clips required.

So one could say that those cartridges are the .400" rimless semi-auto version of the .32 S&W Long / .32 H&R Magnum / .327 Federal Magnum!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts