Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I recently came into some reloading dies and other stuff for .40 S&W so I thought I would find something to shoot with the ammo. Any recommendations on an all-metal (i.e., non polymer/plastic), new or used, .40? I would prefer a full-sized one but that's necessarily a deal breaker. I have a Ruger P85 and P90 so I was thinking either a P91 or P94 would do, but I'm not locked into those. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
I have a 1998-ish vintage S&W 4006. Serial is VLN45xx.

Would sell for $700 plus shipping to your FFL. If interested please PM me and we can finalize details.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Hi folks,
I recently came into some reloading dies and other stuff for .40 S&W so I thought I would find something to shoot with the ammo. Any recommendations on an all-metal (i.e., non polymer/plastic), new or used, .40? I would prefer a full-sized one but that's necessarily a deal breaker. I have a Ruger P85 and P90 so I was thinking either a P91 or P94 would do, but I'm not locked into those. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx.

Hey 51,

Now...if you were to get a 610, you could use the .40's in that (they clip up in the 10mm moon clips, just fine)....and would have "need" of 10mm dies for full power!

See? Full Size!

Later, Mark

Reactions: sparkyv and 5150

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I like the Beretta 96 too.

Reactions: 5150

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too bad you are not in PA Just saw a classified for a S&W 4046 for $400 OBO in Altoona PA
$400-500 is more in my price range. Do you know if that's an Internet listing or only available locally?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S&W 4006 or Sig P229..........Both have been reliable for me for many years.
A buddy of mine has a Sig P229 in .40 and he really likes it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have six here:

S&W M&P .40
Stey M40
FNH FNS40
Beretta PX4
H&K USP
Ruger SR40

All are great pistols!
Without looking those up, are any of them non-polymer?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For whatever odd reason (and I do have a theory), I shoot my .40's better than I shoot my 9mm and .45 pistols. :) But this is not the time to be buying any all-metal .40 pistol. :confused: The current guns & ammo shortage crisis has increased prices on .40's, percentage-wise, even more than on 9mm's. In fact, if you have some .40's that you want to get rid of, this is the very best time in years to do it. (y)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For whatever odd reason (and I do have a theory), I shoot my .40's better than I shoot my 9mm and .45 pistols. :) But this is not the time to be buying any all-metal .40 pistol. :confused: The current guns & ammo shortage crisis has increased prices on .40's, percentage-wise, even more than on 9mm's. In fact, if you have some .40's that you want to get rid of, this is the very best time in years to do it. (y)
In the recent past I have seen a very few used all-metal .40s in the $400-500 price range. It just so happens that I recently came into some reloading equipment/components for .40 and was just looking around a little. But it's not that critical to get one if they're $700 or better.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my S&W M&P 40. If I were looking for a non-polymer gun, I would probably see what Sig Sauer had to offer first. They make top notch guns and I'm sure that the 40 cal is no exception.

Reactions: 5150

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm perfectly happy with my S&W M&P 40. If I were looking for a non-polymer gun, I would probably see what Sig Sauer had to offer first. They make top notch guns and I'm sure that the 40 cal is no exception.
As I posted earlier, a buddy of mine has a Sig P229 in .40 and he really likes it.

Reactions: TheTexan

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
In the recent past I have seen a very few used all-metal .40s in the $400-500 price range. It just so happens that I recently came into some reloading equipment/components for .40 and was just looking around a little. But it's not that critical to get one if they're $700 or better.

In that price range (and under current crazy price conditions), I'd see if I could find a Smith & Wesson Model 410 or 410S... or possibly even a rare 411. (y) I still see Model 410 pistols offered for $400-$500 in very nice condition. (y) But they do have alloy frames and some plastic parts if that's an issue. I think a nice Model 4006 is going to be more than $500 in today's crazy prices market. :unsure:

I believe any all-metal Sig is going to be a whole lot more than your budget... but you could always get lucky! :giggle:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore online has some .40 police trade ins Glock, Sig and Beretta. Look under used guns. I've done business in the past with them and it's always worked out alright.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.