Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month back, I bought two nice sets of binoculars from this gent and today I was riding my bike past and thought I'd stop to see how he was doing since he had another yard sale going. He said he was diversifying on some of his items and I spotted this Ruger New Model Single Six in 9.5" barrel! He had added a Tasco ProPoint scope and it included a "customized" ;) holster and ammo belt. He has been unloading his camping, hunting and fishing gear. He had both the .22LR cylinder and 22 Mag cylinder intact. Besides the Ruger, he also had a NIB with receipt S&W shrouded hammer Airlite. Because my hands were full with the Ruger and he was trying to deal with other customers, I wasn't able to tell the exact model, but I'm assuming it was a .357 mag or at least .38 Spl. caliber, however he mentioned it was a 7-shot? Is there such an animal in those calibers? I'm also guessing it had the internal lock. He was asking $500.00 for it and I told him I'd let my circle know. Anyway, I'm really happy with the Ruger! Here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Re: Look what $200 bucks will get you at a yardsale!

Squirrel Sniper if I ever saw one!!! Good steal!!!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

Wow! What a deal! Okay, because you saved so much money on an awesome plinker, click right over to www.clccustomgrips.com and put a set of Cary's gorgeous handles on that Ruger! Those Hogues should go on Ebay to get you back $15. Who would put Hogues on a .22 like that? I understand them on a .44 Mag, but a .22? Ugh. Cary's wood handles are the finest I've ever seen. He's the only gripmaker I know that finishes the "other" side of the screw. He also includes an aluminum spacer that fits between the grips so you can't over tighten the screw and crack the wood.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Money well spent, if you ask me. Something similar happened to me about a month ago. Picked up a Ruger .22 auto with nearly the same sighting arrangement for $50 more. Had it out at the Peach Orchard and had a blast with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts

The only crap you find around here is benie babies.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

Very good find at a outragously good price.The rubber grips would have to go though. They look way out of place and are excessively ugly.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I hear you guys about the grips, I will definitely be making a change on that front! Thanks for the link mm6, I'll check it out.

G

·
0 Posts

Nothing wrong with those ProPoints. I use one on a competition gun and in three years it's never given me a problem. And that is on a center fire...!

giz

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts

That is a beauty! welldone

Someone mentioned...squirrel! I love fried squirrel, but I never have cared to skinning the critters.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks Wendy! I've never eaten any squirell either, they're not big in the desert areas of Arizona, but they are prevelant up north. My dad was raised on them as a kid in Arkansas and says they taste similar to a lean rabbit, which I've had plenty of. In fact, in the Navy, when I was going to electronics school in Millington Tennessee (hello Dixie! :D), they often had fried rabbit in the chow hall. I remember lots of guys saying "this chicken isn't cut up right"!!! :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts

Fried squirrel is great. I like to tell people it tastes like a bushy tailed rat. :shock: :lol:

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts

WendyZXZ said:
Fried squirrel is great. I like to tell people it tastes like a bushy tailed rat. :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts

carl418 said:
WendyZXZ said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL. The best part is when they ask "how do you know what rat tastes like???" I just smile and say "don't ask!" Actually I have never eaten rat, but they are both rodents. I am a country gal, I can even bait my own hook, skin a deer/squirrel/rabbit, and am not squemish about it. I remember the quote. Yes, we watched the movie Bambi, we moved past it.

Redneck gal here, and proud of it. :D

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Look what $200 bucks will get you at a yardsale! NEW GRIPS

Got these in the mail today and I'd say they're a big improvement! Bought them here:

http://www.handgungrips.com/

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Those look great! Ahhh, Altamont! My dad and my godfather sold Altamont grips for Ken Enright back in the 1980's when he was pioneering bonded ivory handles. I've always liked his grips, no matter what the material. He is the one making the factory wood grips for S&W today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts