Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, day hunter may be more to the truth...

One of my lifes goals is to do some true Longhunting, looks like this fall it happens...All the gear, no modern anything. Planning on a five day trek...in cold weather.

Caught some flak from my Amigo's about how civilized I looked in that pic in the Lounge with Jules. Most folks thought I looked abit tame... ;)

Somewhere, I just know that Sip is laughin' his arse off ....

This is the guy para was gonna put a boot to :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Except for the micrometer rear sight ;) that photograph could be 150+ years old!

Talking about treks.... as a teenager, I first read Townsend Whelen's tale about his nearly year-long trek across wilderness British Columbia in 1901 - Red LetterDays in British Columbia.
http://books.google.com/books?id=mrlCRC ... #PPA129,M1

He and his hunting partner traveled light - a 1895 Winchester in .40-72, a 1894 Winchester in .30WCF, a tarp lean-to, two bedrolls, a pair of cooking pots, horses, and not much else. Great story of a life-changing adventure that few people have ever experienced...

xtm

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I'll be doing just that this fall.
Except for the 5th wheel.
And the 300 Win Mag
The Yamaha "horse"
Chevy Z71
electric socks and gloves, Charmin, Leupold scope, propane heater, oven, and water heater and,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Gizamo said:
Actually, day hunter may be more to the truth...

One of my lifes goals is to do some true Longhunting, looks like this fall it happens...All the gear, no modern anything. Planning on a five day trek...in cold weather.

Caught some flak from my Amigo's about how civilized I looked in that pic in the Lounge with Jules. Most folks thought I looked abit tame... ;)

This is the guy para was gonna put a boot to :mrgreen:
********************************************************************************************************************************
Gizamo,

A nice bald face sorrel and a ewe necked pack-horse would fit to a 'T' :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

********************************************************************************************************************************

azmick,
What's this;

"I'll be doing just that this fall.
Except for the 5th wheel.
And the 300 Win Mag
The Yamaha "horse"
Chevy Z71
electric socks and gloves, Charmin, Leupold scope, propane heater, oven, and water heater and,,,,,,, "

You gotta a base camp with the Patels too I see. :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
You gotta a base camp with the Patels too I see.
My idea of roughing it is having to use single ply paper :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, it's not roughing it...

The gear is pretty comfortable and definitely very warm...and a few days out in the woods might just be what the doctor ordered. Can't think of a better way to get away from the hustle and bustle of life, and totally relax. Campfire cookin' and coffee in the morning, then the day is yours to do as you please...and you carry all your earthly belonging's that you need in your pack, haversac, and possibles bag... :)

giz

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
Don't forget....they didn't have toilet paper in those days. I think the really tough guys used dried birch bark!!!! Are you really tough, Giz???? :twisted: njgapjgj You'll probably spend 5 days out in the back 40.....and come home to answer nature's call every morning. Probably get Jules to make you breakfast, while you're there.....anyhow!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
giz,

If'n you head in at the trailhead north of Ovando, MT go up the North Fork of the Flathead River toward Falls Point...The U.S. Forest Service has a 5-star outhouse... :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Giz, your picture reminds me of this great American:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dom,

Have to laugh, I have a black lambswool hat just like the one TR is wearing in that picture :mrgreen:

Don't have any pic's of it, but you know, ....it's a great hat! Warm and the ear flaps tuck up inside out of the way...silk lined inside.

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
c.

Thanks for the invite :)
I can't make it, although it sounds like one great time. Hopefully you keep a journal and do some trekking.

Jules and I are building a cabin this Summer and it will use up, all my free time....

giz

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beautiful sheath, giz. In the distant past I tried my hand at a little beadwork. I was inspired by a guy named W. Ben Hunt... does the name ring any bells?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mjr...

Yes,

Everything I've read was about a good man...active with everything from the Boy Scouts to the preservation of earlier times... I never heard of him doing anything with beadwork or bearded sheaths...but his life is inspirational for so many....

giz

·
Registered
239 Posts
For years Ben Hunt did a crafts column for Boy's Life magazine--he made all kinds of stuff but was especially interested in Indian crafts and culture. He wrote and illustrated several books. One called "Indian Crafts and Lore" came out when I was in second grade ('56-'57) and was a huge influence...on my imagination, at least. I've got to see if there's a copy available on Amazon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts