Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new here so I'll introduce myself and relate something that happened this week.

In 1986 I was a young police officer with a wife, three kids and all the expenses that go with it on a beat cop's salary. A couple older officers with connections talked Smith & Wesson and a police supply company into making commemorative revolvers available for us to buy, a Model 19 and/or a Model 66. For nearly six months, there was a pair of them, already engraved sitting on the counter of the Court Detail office where we checked in for court. I was working in a very active part of town so consequently I made a lot of court appearances. Every time I checked in I looked at those revolvers and daydreamed. I was carrying my city issue Model 10 and was so indigent I almost had to finance the Tyler T grip on it. I don't remember the price of the guns but it was absolutely out of the question given my family responsibilities.

When the guns came in I wished I had somehow found a way to get one but knew that I'd done the right thing. Years, then decades, went by; I always kept my ear to the ground but no one wanted to part with one of the only eighty revolvers to commemorate our department. Fast forward to the other day; I contacted one of the two guys I used to work with who arranged them way back when. We shot the breeze and then I asked if he knew of any for sale. Low and behold he was working with a fellow retired DPD officer that I had taught in the academy. He had bought the gun from a collector, unfired and in the box. Teaching at the academy was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I learned as much as they did. Consequently, I have a connection to all those officers who went though during my tenure.

I called my former student and we discussed how things were going for him and the possible sale of the gun. A very long story short, he sold it to me and now I have what I dreamed of as a young man. I think this is better than if I would have bought it in the beginning. Surely some emergency would have come up and I would have sold it when we didn't have much. This way, not only did I wind up with it, but I got it from someone who I have a connection with. I've never had a firearm in my life that I didn't shoot; until now. Upon my death it will be donated to our police history foundation/museum so it will be where it belongs.

Our FOP lodge is named for Capt. John C, Post who was murdered in a shootout in 1927. He was a cop's cop and was highly respected by his peers. The man who killed him was wounded in the shootout as well. He was removed to a local hospital where reports of the day said during the night a police officer slipped into his room and shot him again. The suspect survived, was immediately tried for murder and convicted; after which he died of his injuries. The paper later reported that the officer who came into the suspect's room and shot him had only gone in to "scare him" using blanks that had been in his revolver during a police field day demonstration/competition. Nothing further was reported about the officer and it's believed that he continued his career without incident.

This is me and my steel worker son (who's approaching middle age) on my 1976 FLH police Harley. That Shovelhead had a speed wobble above 80 mph that was so bad I almost jumped off during one robbery pursuit. If you look behind me you can see my city issue Model 10 with beat up grips.
1986-07 Allan & Allan II.jpg

Here's my new to me commemorative revolver. I'm retired now and the money hits the bank on time every month ;)
20191127_162721.jpg

20191127_162730.jpg

20191127_163651.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Max. Now that you have a forum home, I hope you'll be a nomad only when you want to go camping.

Thank you for letting your fellow forum members celebrate this very satisfying experience with you.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Hey Nomad,

Fine looking Revolver!

Even a better "tale" to go with it!!

Really glad for you!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
27,917 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NW Pennsylvania.:)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
In 1986 I was a young police officer with a wife, three kids and all the expenses that go with it on a beat cop's salary.
Been there, done that but 21 years earlier and only one kid. I totally relate to your story so thanks for the memories. Great story!

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Congrats mate and welcome home...

thewelshm

Reactions: Nomadmax

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Good story and welcome to the forum! May we call you Max?
The part where you say it was probably better to have bought the 19 later than sooner because you might have it off during lean times made me smile. More than a few of us here have done such a thing for needed cash in our early wedded years. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

John

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good story and welcome to the forum! May we call you Max?
The part where you say it was probably better to have bought the 19 later than sooner because you might have it off during lean times made me smile. More than a few of us here have done such a thing for needed cash in our early wedded years. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

John

Call me Allan, John. Nomadmax relates back to my time as entry team leader on SWAT and my love of motorcycle riding/travel. When speaking among one's age peers; there are certain things that ring true for all of us. I knew that most of the people here would understand my reasoning that it was better to get the pistol now rather than back when. I know this will sound silly, but I'm still beside myself that I happened upon it.

The Dalton "Highway", North of Fairbanks. I rode over 4000 miles just to the start of it ;)
2003-07 AK48 Start of Dalton Hwy.JPG

My old Harley Super Glide. It's clean now, sitting out in the garage.
2003-07 AK62 Dirty Superglide at Artic Circle 2.JPG

Arctic Circle
2003-07 AK63 Superglide next to Arctic Circle sign.JPG

I had to wait quite a while for other people to show up and take my picture. I was using cardboard/throw away cameras that didn't have a timer. The folks that obliged me were in a 4wd and wondered how I negotiated the mud ;)
2003-07 AK65 Allan at Arctic Circle.JPG

I promise, no more non-topic pics. It was just an explanation of the handle.

·
Super Moderator
34,666 Posts
No problem with the non topic posts here especially with a new member introducing themself with a post like that one, we are a pretty laid back bunch here and just happy to welcome new members. Fine pictures and background about yourself!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Max, welcome to the forum from NC. In 1978, I was a Deputy US Marshal in Dayton, OH. I worked some with a fine Dayton PD officer named Mike Tussing. He showed me how to customize a pair of Herrett grips I had on my Model 19. Following his advice, they sure fit a lot better to my hands. Was he around in your day.
I think he was active n the FOP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Mike Tussing was my first Sergeant !!

It's a small world. I haven't seen Sarge in a while, last I knew he was living Colorado Springs. That said, he has COPD pretty bad from smoking and I heard a rumor that he had moved back to the Ohio/Indiana area because of the altitude. (He was originally from Indiana) It was a different time back then, he took care of us so consequently when he wanted something accomplished, it got done ;)

I know for an absolute fact that much of my success, including being a sergeant myself, was due to his guidance and example. Ironically, Sarge got me a contract gig working with USMS when I retired. I did that for six years, now I'm a bum ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
What a great story. And an even better ending. Congratulations in the find, and kudos for planning to donate it to your local police museum on your passing.
I am amazed how some of the guys out there have stories similar to yours, and never find the one they're looking for. You've done well!

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: Nomadmax
1 - 20 of 21 Posts