Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ever run into a loctite product don't panic! You can still turn that screw or push that sight with a little know how.
To disassemble Locktite, apply localized heat to the assembly to approximately 482 degrees Fahrenheit. Disassemble while hot (if it cools it will re-strengthen). Heat sources could be a butane torch or believe it or not, a toaster oven. (When removing gun sights, I throw the slide into the oven for a few minutes).

Just for your concerns, aluminum will melt at around 1220°F while steel is much higher at around 2700°F. Don't worry about the heat treating, only the critical action parts are heat treated such as triggers or hammers and so on. (If the metal rods inside your toaster oven don't warp under the broil setting, your SW1911 slide will be just fine!)

Have fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just an FYI. I had a gunsmith refinish a 4003TSW frame and ruined it with 350 degree heat, not sure for how long. The gun would lock up after 50 rounds because the frame would soften from the heat. The gunsmith sent the frame to S&W whose metallurgists figured out what happened and why. Had to make a replacement frame. Now the gun is as good as new. I would be very careful heating aluminum.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find your story interesting to me on what exactly your smith did. I wonder if it was 350 or more like 700 degrees? Did he bake all the internal parts with the frame? Did he quench the hot frame with water or oil? Was there another problem that surfaced after it was worked on?

As you pointed out, caution is always advised when going in unfamiliar territory.

G

·
0 Posts
That is very interesting about the aluminum slide. I bake steel and aluminum parts all the time, applying baking lacquer and never a problem. Still interesting at what temperature the slide was baked at? Thanks for the information, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats why the clear nail polish works better than any Loc tight with no problems if you ever have to take apart the screws etc. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had good luck by using a Weller electric soldering gun and applying the heated tip to the screw that I needed to loosen. This isolates tthe heat to a precise spot. I would only have to touch the screw for 10-15 seconds and then try turning it.
I did this with over 100 Glock front sights that had been Loctited in with no problem.

Moosedog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts