Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a S&W M&P Model 15 Sport II in 5.56 with their announced deals (w/ 500 rounds of ammo). Here:

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Now they are offering a S&W M&P .380 pistol (new in box) with 300 rounds of ammo for $529. I may go over there and buy it.

I have a M&P Shield in 9 mm that I have owned since early 2014. It's was on sale at $250 with no ammo. It's been a good one. Why not a .380?

Shield 9MM:
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

I need to check out the new deal on the block.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Some have had trouble with Body Guard 380 and have read not very pleasant to shoot . I would spend my money or 9mm and 223/556 ammo

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
I too have heard of people having trouble with the Bodyguard in the past. No idea if the current one addresses the issue of light strikes. The trigger is not all that great if I remember correctly from when I looked at one a few years ago

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..Some have had trouble with Body Guard 380 and have read not very pleasant to shoot . I would spend my money on 9mm and 223/556 ammo.
I have been reading the reviews since they sent me the email yesterday. I am on the fence. ;)

I just got 500 rounds of 5.56 with my new S&W M&P Model 15 rifle. I'll sleep on it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been reading the reviews since they sent me the email yesterday. I am on the fence. ;)

I just got 500 rounds of 5.56 with my new S&W M&P Model 15 rifle. I'll sleep on it.
I got a good deal on a BG380 w/insight laser some years back. The size is great it hides behind my open hand.
The trigger pull is a bit much which combined with the short barrel probably affects accuracy, but it's a cool looking gun IMO.

I'm just getting back into target shooting so if you get one we'll be in the same boat. (I've shot it maybe 25 times, but plan to remedy that soon.)

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still undecided. I like getting the 300 rounds of .380 ammo with the gun (6 boxes) for $529.

Yet, I think it took me, as a revolver guy a long time to get up to speed on the S&W Shield 9mm. Do I really need a .380? (Yes!).

I am a buyer with my license this week. It will match up good with my old Shield. Watch for new pictures.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I like getting the 300 rounds of .380 ammo with the gun (6 boxes) for $529.
.380 Auto is just starting to appear on shelves at 50% more per round than 9mm. I'd rethink that one more time.

I can easily blow through 6 boxes in a range visit or two.

It's a trap.

P,S, The Sport II is a great gun.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.380 Auto is just starting to appear on shelves at 50% more per round than 9mm. I'd rethink that one more time.

I can easily blow through 6 boxes in a range visit or two.

It's a trap.
Thanks Dave,

It just seems here that .380 is generally a lower hot round than the 9mm? I also think the.380 is a good carry?

I don't know yet, No Doubt, I need to look and feel it. I say it is not a big gamble for a S&W pistol with 300 rounds with the box and warranty? I'll get back to you. 😀

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thanks Dave,

It just seems here that .380 is generally a lower hot round than the 9mm? I also think the.380 is a good carry?

I don't know yet, No Doubt, I need to look and feel it. I say it is not a big gamble for a S&W pistol with 300 rounds with the box and warranty? I'll get back to you. 😀
Eventually things should sort themselves out and .380 will be plentiful. Just not any time soon. Right now when your 300 rounds are gone your gun goes on the shelf, or you pay through the nose for ammo.

There are a lot of great carry guns at your local LGS in 9mm. Unless 9mm is a problem for you because of more recoil than .380 (which is the case for some folks), I'd go for the 9mm.

But it's your money. You should buy what you like and like what you buy.

I have a 380EZ for the wife 'cuz her hands aren't that strong. She likes it and it's not a bad carry gun, really. The barrel is longer than the BG too, if I'm not mistaken (3.65"). I keep seeing deals on the EZ guns in both .380 and 9mm. Maybe wait a bit? I don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
..Eventually things should sort themselves out and .380 will be plentiful. Just not any time soon. Right now when your 300 rounds are gone your gun goes on the shelf, or you pay through the nose for ammo.

There are a lot of great carry guns at your local LGS in 9mm. Unless 9mm is a problem for you because of more recoil than .380 (which is the case for some folks), I'd go for the 9mm.
Dave,
You opened up another thing. So, you believe this inflation is a minor transitory thing? You are with Jerry Powell?

I am not so sure about the temporary thing. Everything that I see is going up in price in what I call real inflation (houses, cars, ammo, food. gas, electricity, schools, wages, government...). It will slam the middle class.

And your people in Washington are talking about a $5T increase in debt which is $120,000 per household.

That is more pure and simple inflation.

I think ammo prices will never get back to 2019 levels. Gun prices may stay level since no one can afford to buy them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do I really need a .380? (Yes!).
I can relate on craving a specific caliber. My 1st guns were bought specifically by caliber due to what ammo I thought would be easy to resupply (12 ga, 9mm, .380, 22lr, 5.56 etc) BUT last gun I bought just HAD to be a 6.5 creedmoor, although .308 probably would've been more practical. I bought a few boxes and will probably only shoot one box until the price drops. 300 rounds would be plenty for something with a 6 round magazine to me.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Dave,
You opened up another thing. So, you believe this inflation is a minor transitory thing? You are with Jerry Powell?

I am not so sure about the temporary thing. Everything that I see is going up in price in what I call real inflation (houses, cars, ammo, food. gas, electricity, schools, wages, government...). It will slam the middle class.

And your people in Washington are talking about a $5T increase in debt which is $120,000 per household.

That is more pure and simple inflation.

I think ammo prices will never get back to 2019 levels. Gun prices may stay level since no one can afford to buy them.
I didn't mean it that way. Only that .380 prices may/should come in line with 9mm. I could be wrong..... and that's okay, except I have a gun to feed.

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
,380 acp has always been priced at a premium compared to 9mm Luger ammunition.

I recommend that my students stick to 9mm or larger for defense handguns. The ballistics of .380acp are starting to approach effective, but 9mm and larger have been there with more options for many years of experience. The smaller cartridge is just underpowered in my opinion.

I doubt .380acp prices will ever come in line with 9mm Luger. The only way close would be to reload.

The new SIG P365 and newer M&P Shield offerings offer more capacity in a very small handgun in 9mm, and would be a better choice.

Reactions: CitySlicker

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kimber has a Desert Tan Micro 9 w/laser grips on sale for $619.99 at midwayusa, you'd already have ammo for it, and like others are saying it's cheaper long-run, but to swing you back to S&W here's a really cool pocket pistol.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
,380 acp has always been priced at a premium compared to 9mm Luger ammunition.

I doubt .380acp prices will ever come in line with 9mm Luger.
I must have that rare LGS. Just going with my own purchasing experiences. .380 was never 50% higher than 9mm, until it disappeared. It's only back on the shelf in the last month or so, and not in large quantities.

They did have a few boxes of .380 soft point, which I thought was odd.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Well what do you know, Natchez has .380 and it's only $0.58/rd. Didn't think I'd see that any time soon. 9mm is $0.50 right now at my LGS.

Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics Handgun Ammunition .380 ACP 95 gr FMJ 960 fps 50/box
Price: $28.99 ($0.58 / count)
Availability: IN STOCK

But wait! 9mm is $0.42/rd at Natchez on sale?

Fiocchi 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ 50/ct Pistol Shooting Dynamics Handgun Ammunition
Was: $23.99
Price: $20.99 ($0.42 / count)

Dayum! If I didn't have so much 9mm stocked up here I'd get me some of that.

Oh well - more for you then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well what do you know, Natchez has .380 and it's only $0.58/rd. Didn't think I'd see that any time soon. 9mm is $0.50 right now at my LGS.

Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics Handgun Ammunition .380 ACP 95 gr FMJ 960 fps 50/box
Price: $28.99 ($0.58 / count)
Availability: IN STOCK

But wait! 9mm is $0.42/rd at Natchez on sale?

Fiocchi 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ 50/ct Pistol Shooting Dynamics Handgun Ammunition
Was: $23.99
Price: $20.99 ($0.42 / count)

Dayum! If I didn't have so much 9mm stocked up here I'd get me some of that.

Oh well - more for you then.
Good looking out, got enough 380 now to practice without counting beans and they had 9 cent 22lr to boot!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I hope you didn't clean them out. I'm getting 1K rounds of .380 myself but I have to wait for my new FOID card to be processed first.

Frickin' Illinois..... Delayed my renewal big time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts