Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this thing I found?
Went to buy a 1911 from a guy and he brought this up. Said it was in a drawer and he didn't think it was worth much. Well, I was intrigued so I bought it with the 1911 I went for.
Barrel marked .357 CTG Highway Patrolman with a serial number of S183294.
So, what might this be? I cant find alot of info on a nickel Model 28.
Drinkware Bottle Glass Glass bottle Lavender

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
S183XXX dates to 58 or 59. The plating was done after it left the factory and kills any collector value but it still should be an excellent shooter. Is there a model number stamped in the yoke cut out when you open the cylinder?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like a fairly well done refinish. If it locks up tight and is mechanically sound it should be worth an easy $600, and probably a bit more
It locks up tight and has an excellent trigger. I went for a 1911 and he showed this. I gave him the rest of my cash on top of his asking price for the 1911. I am not in it much.

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 28 HIghway Patrolman is one of the great S&W N frames...even when plated. I would be looking for a hammer, trigger and rear sight assembly to sorta bring it back toward originality.

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
Enjoy it... Nothing like shooting a handful like this...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 28 HIghway Patrolman is one of the great S&W N frames...even when plated. I would be looking for a hammer, trigger and rear sight assembly to sorta bring it back toward originality.
Thank you for the welcome. I will look out for some parts. I do all my own work so this one will be easy.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Hey T,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Pic of a GREAT M 28...right out the GATE! (y)

(now, where was that 1911?) Hmmm?

Hope you got a good stash of 38 ammo! Them M 28's sure like eatin' ammo...every trip to the range! :ROFLMAO:

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey T,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Pic of a GREAT M 28...right out the GATE! (y)

(now, where was that 1911?) Hmmm?

Hope you got a good stash of 38 ammo! Them M 28's sure like eatin' ammo...every trip to the range! :ROFLMAO:

Later, Mark
Thanks for the welcome.
I have a good amount of 38 and 357. The 1911 is not a Smith so I kept it to myself. Dont want to muddy the waters right out of the gate. 🤐

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.
I have a good amount of 38 and 357. The 1911 is not a Smith so I kept it to myself. Dont want to muddy the waters right out of the gate. 🤐
There's a category here devoted to 1911's, don't feel out of place! I'm not a big 1911 guy personally, but many here are, just good to have another gun guy onboard! As to your refinished Highway Patrolman, I'd be happy as a pig with two [email protected] to happen upon it; nice grab sir, shoot it with mucho gusto! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
Also, don't feel compelled to change anything on your new 28... Since it's been plated, it won't be collectible even if you change out components for ones that are not plated. If it were me, I'd just shoot it and enjoy it.

Like many others here on the forum, I also like the M1911a1 platform, and have some of those. Most recently, I finally was able to acquire a higher end custom M1911a1 (this one from Les Baer) and it's remarkable to shoot. With the panic, I sold a number of firearms, and the dealer that consigned them for me sold me the Baer in partial payment.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have two 4" 28-2's and they are some of my favorite pistols. You did great snagging that up even with the nickel aftermarket finish. I notice it looks like a Tyler T grip on there and are those real stag grips as well or just plastic? Some more pictures please and don't forget the 1911 ones as well. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Very nice pick up. That 28 will be fun to shoot and will last for a couple of generations. To me, the reason to change at least the rear sight is to get something easier to see than nickel. Front sight can be painted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have two 4" 28-2's and they are some of my favorite pistols. You did great snagging that up even with the nickel aftermarket finish. I notice it looks like a Tyler T grip on there and are those real stag grips as well or just plastic? Some more pictures please and don't forget the 1911 ones as well. Thanks for the post.
Real stag grips. Look like old ones too. Its really in pretty good shape. Not too bad even with the finish.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
What's not to like about a 4" N frame. OP if that was mine I would look for a blue rear sight and some better fitting grips. I just notice looks like the nickel is flaking off the cylinder.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There was a limited run of nickeled Highway Patrolman revolvers made for the Florida Highway Patrol. I have a big brother to your gun. It's a wonderful piece of work.

I recommmend getting a factory letter for this gun to document it left the factory with a blue finish. That's what I did. If you or your heirs try to sell this gun, put that letter in the prospective buyer's hands to read and get his fingerprints on. This should help in the event that anyone says you or your heirs tried to bamboozle them.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Back in the day we were issued 28s, chrome looks better than blue IMO. Personally, I'm a 1911, especially Colts, and Smith .357 magnum kind of guy. I only shoot .357mag ammunition, some commercial, but mostly handloaded magnums...there's an exhilarating feeling being able to push split times with a magnum. Being an old guy, magnum ammunition tends to stretch my hands a bit during 100 round range sessions...enjoy you're 28 Highway Patrolman and shoot it 'til the cylinder is too hot to touch when reloading it... good reason to bring more than one .357mag to a range session. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts