Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
Great video Creeker. Thanks for posting it. I also load .380 for an LCP. They dont seem to be a picky gun. I have run quite a few different bullet profiles through it without problems

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 380 can be a challenge to handload, just keep it’s limitations in mind. The case has a internal taper, so bullets weights and length are limited to 95 grains max. Small internal powder capacity, which will limit the types of powders that take up a lot of space in the case. Testing with my S&W Walther PPK/S has sown Power Pistol to be a great Performer.

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
I use the Lyman 356242 mold, drops about a 92ish grain bullet. I use 2.6 grains of Bullseye. They work flawlessly in my PPK, LCP and a Sig P238.

I will have to say, casting these bullets are a pain. Don’t know why, but I have to pressure fill them. Can’t get a decent fill out without doing it that way. Never have that problem with any other mold.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can’t get a decent fill out without doing it that way. Never have that problem with any other mold.
Sounds like a venting problem maybe. Or perhaps a too tight sprue plate. Just guessing here though. I use to pressure fill when using my Saeco Pot. The bottom spout was shaped perfectly for that.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 380 can be a challenge to handload, just keep it’s limitations in mind. The case has a internal taper, so bullets weights and length are limited to 95 grains max. Small internal powder capacity, which will limit the types of powders that take up a lot of space in the case. Testing with my S&W Walther PPK/S has sown Power Pistol to be a great Performer.
Hmmmn, Xtreme sells plated 100gr HP bullets, and there are published recipes for that weight.
Sig Saur even sells a commercially loaded 100gr 380acp.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sig-sauer-elite-ball-380-auto-100-grain-fmj-pistol-ammunition

I've read about people loading 115gr 9mm bullets in 380acp and Nosler even publishes data for doing it
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/380-auto-acp/

So I would have to disagree with your statement about 95gr being the limitation on 380 handloads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BC38 all bullet weighs heavier than 95 grains will take up valuable space inside the tiny 380 case. There will be a server drop in velocity, IE (the Nosler data)and a increase in recoil, which will effect fellow up shots all bullets weights heavier than 95 Gr’s are really for the 9MM Parabellum or the 38 Super because those cases have the capacity to except longer and heavier bullets. Just because the ammo and bullet makers make the bullets, doesn’t mean it was designed to fit in the .380 case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts