Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have $240 in this beauty. Ok beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Degreaased, oil and repeat on the internals. Then oil very fine steel wool, oil reapplied on the outside. The grips were stripped, lightly sanded, repeated 4 times, cleaned with mineral spirits and after wash; then 5 coats of linseed oil. I am really happy.
Resized_20200505_140713.jpg
20200530_070655.jpg
20200530_070738.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That looks great! I am at this moment looking for inexpensive magna style grips on ebay for my 642 and in expensive means pretty dinged up. You have given me hope!

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Great job... I like these used service pistols. Many are diamonds in the rough.

The few dents left in the stocks can sometimes be fixed by using a hand held steam cleaner, and applying steam through a layer of terry cloth. This will cause the dented wood fibers to absorb the steam, and swell - returning to their original depth. If you do this, you will need to apply and hand rub in some additional coats of BLO. I do multiple BLO coats using 25% diluted BLO (use mineral spirits) and hand rub the oil into the wood pores.

Here's an example of a M1 Garand stock that was done this way:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Nice job on the grips. Congrats on adding to your collection. Please let us know how it functions for you.:cool:

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
That looks great! I am at this moment looking for inexpensive magna style grips on ebay for my 642 and in expensive means pretty dinged up. You have given me hope!
I have a set that came off the Model 36 if you get tired of looking at e-biteo_O

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice find.

I found this Model 66 .357 Mag police trade-in back in 2000 for $185 plus some change at Gulf States in Montgomery, AL. It had hairline scratches, luckily nothing very deep, all over it and the grips were worn out from being banged against everything while in the cops holster. It looked pretty sad. The gun had been carried a lot but it don't appear to have been shot hardly at all. Everything is tight. Wish I had some before pictures but I didn't own a camera back then.

I spent several hours buffing it out on my bench buffer and then I found a set of grips for it at an indoor flea market for $12 that I put on it. So I've got just over $197 bucks in the gun. I like the looks of it better than the new ones because I put a glossy finish on it instead of the satin finish that came on it.

·
Premium Member
18,637 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass!

Reactions: Mjh
1 - 14 of 14 Posts