Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Model 10 is at the shop where I bought my Model 15-2. I will describe it best I can and am seeking some info on it. On the tag it states it is a Model 10 M&P. On the right barrel it is stamped 38 S&W Special CTG and Smith and Wesson on the left. On top it also has Smith and Wesson and the other info that is on the frame of my Model 15. When I drop the cylinder it has the serial number on the bottom of the barrel which is 984727. no letter preceeds it. This number is also on the cylinder. On the crane there is no model # but what looks like a & and below it are the numbers 26110. At first I thought it looked parkerized but after looking closer and handling it it looks just that the original blued has faded over time. I would rate it at 70% with no holster wear, just uniform wear over the whole frame and barrel. The grips have sharp checkering and a uniform worn finish but the do not have the Smith logo in them and are not scratched or knicked. It locks up super tight with no play and the trigger pullis as smooth as silk. The bore is 95-100% and is beautiful. No rusting or pitting anywhere. Now my questions:

1. Is this a M&P Model 10 as it is tagged?
2. Is this gun's frame and cylinder and barrel from different guns reflected in the 2 different numbers?
3. Could the grips be original.
4. Is it worth $195.00 as described even if only a shooter to enjoy which is my intention.

I had him put a tag on it but no money yet. If not worth it I can have him just throw it back on the shelf and not be out a cent.

-Denny-

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hi Denny,
First , Welcome to the forum. welcome01

The Serial is on the bottom of the butt. If it is the same as the face of the cylinder and the barrel they match. The frame number (on the butt) is the important one as the barrel or cylinder can be changed. The assembly # in the crane and various other internal places were to mate the pre fitted parts prior to the Serial Number and mean nothing as far as identification. From the Serial # 984727 it would put this gun around 1942. The gun would be collector classified as a M&P 1905 4th. It probably stayed in this country as it is 38 Special. The grips could be original but a picture would help. You probably cannot go wrong for $200 in this day and age. It could have been military issue or police or guard duty. You can get a factory letter for $50 but probably it will not tell you much more than you know already but there is a possibility that there might be some great information. BouncyG

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hello, Denny
Jim has done a fine job of furnishing some great info.
The photo(s) will obviously help us to help you.
As far as the price goes, you can't even buy a decent throwing spear for that money! :lol:
Probably a good buy.
Don
;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question...would this be a square or a round butt? My guess would be square but I wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
You tell me. It is probably a square butt but I have not see it or a picture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I probably asked that question wrong. I am just trying to determine the correct grips for my gun I have on layaway. After reading some of the great information on this site, I have kinda determined that the correct grips for this gun, which has a manufacture date roughly around 1942, would be the magna style diamond grips with the silver medallions. Is this right? I was looking at replacement grips on Gunbroker to get it back to as close to original as I can, of course realizing that the serial numbers won't match and see both round butt and square butt grips for this gun. I also believe that it would be a square butt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts