Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body use one? Found one in my 'box o' stuff' that I forgot I had. Not real sure where it can from but it has no rotors with it. I see they are $12/each and wonder if it is a useable tool in addition to the RCBS Uniflow I already have. And what size rotors would one want to start with {they make about 30 of them kubvcabo }
30 X $12.00 = hvapa;p;

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Lil' Dandy powder measures work very well with spherical "ball" powders like W-231/HP-38 and fine granular powders like W-540/HS6 , OK with small flake powders, not too good with large flakes like 800X, and pi$$poor with extruded rods.

I have one that I use hand-held - and I have "customized" a few rotors to match some of my favorite high-volume revolver and autopistol loads. I bought some slightly undersized rotors and opened 'em up a bit with a Dremel tool - for example, one drops a perfect 4.8gr. Bullseye for .45acp, another drops a perfect 3.0gr. Bullseye for .38 Special....

I don't use it so much now that I have a progressive. I still like to load my .38 Sp. target wadcutters on a single-stage and the hand-held Lil' Dandy is fast to use and perfect for that.

xtm

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use one, mostly because I have a good selection of rotors. If starting new I would probably go for something thats in current production. The Little Dandy is a good measure though.

Have a table of charges/rotors for Hodgen Clays, Unique, and W 231 if you need it. If you are not going to use it let me know, might buy it off you. I am so deep in rotors it's too expensive to switch and if the plastic hopper ever went bad I would be high and dry. Be a good idea to have a spare

Boats

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boats, our member gearchecker is getting the 'lil dandy'. He's just starting out reloading and he could use the info.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tell him to send me a private mail. Have both my own notes and the brochure that came with the Little Dandy that shows charges for a number of powders with all available rotors. I do find the charge chart to be a good indication not absolutely accurate. For example my 5.0 rotor throws more Hodgen Clays than the 5.3

Best to work up a table of charges using your own scale and rotors. Even so I won't charge cases without check weighing before I get started.

Forrester who bought Bonanza still has many rotors for sale if you call there customer service department.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts