Smith And Wesson Forums banner

lite loads for the .500S&W oh my!!!!

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  S.B. 
#1 ·
five shots,, fifty feet, offhand (the tree was making hostle movements towards me and i felt the need to protect myself :roll: )
anyhow..lite load of 10 grains of unique with a 375 grain hardcast bullet. (honest it's listed as a "lite- load") penetration was more than enough, recoil wasn't that bad about the same as a hot .44 special.

tree was roughly 5 inches thick....

backside of tree.....

needless to say i'm impressed...
and i think i have a new heavy "plinking" load.. lgnngp

See less See more
#7 ·
I have had good luck with lyman's 49th reloading manual's starting load of 14.5 grains of
unique for the 500 grain jacketed bullet, however, i use it behind my own cast bullet of 440
grains, out of a Lee mold. i cast this bullet out of wheel weights, and drop them out of the mold straight into water. this hardens them to the extent that i dont use the gas check. velocity is probably around the 1150 fps mark. recoil feels like a pretty stout .44 magnum load. like i said, havent chronographed it yet, but accuracy is around 3 inches at 50 yards, off
sandbags. i love this gun & cartridge combo! has lots of promise for the person who handloads.

#8 ·
The 500 is a cool gun. kfjdrfirii

Why do I own a 500 S&W magnum?

The 500 makes a wonderful gardening tool. I blast a couple rounds into the soil and drop the tomato plants right in. 1 round plants 35 tomato plants by the way, if anyone wants to know.

Because hitting 'em with a filing cabinet gives too much warning.

Because dropping a boulder from aircraft is less acurate.

Because I was running out of ways to annoy other range members.

The 500 magnum fits into my range bag

It is easier to transport that a 105mm Howitzer

Wooley Mammoth season.

Digging a new well.

Great White sport fishing.

Fallujah silhouette shooting matches.

At night that muzzle blast beats flares

We need a .500 because it is not money that brings happiness, but POWER. And we need the .500 simply because no one makes catapults any longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.