Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is exactly how my favorite Penn open face reel and light rod sounded as it got dragged down to the bottom of the San Gabriel river today. It was my fault, I set my rod down to help my son take a fish off his. And that cheesey whipping through the air sound was loud and then a splash. All I saw was the cork handle submerge. I looked like a dam* cartoon character out there today, it was pathetic. I have caught many fish in many different conditions throughout my life and never have I had as many problems with this one type. I don't know whether to just give up or go back tomorrow better equipped. That little rig was my favorite I found it in a pawn shop, it was brand new when I bought it. Paid $12 for it several years ago and caught so many huge bass on it. Now it's at the bottom of the river with a stupid gar attached to it, or not. :cry:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I dont know if I should laugh or cry for you man.I was pulling my foot out of some deep mud one time when I was fishing in some beaver dams and when my foot came free as I was pulling like hell against the suction I stumbled forward and drove my fly rod into a dead snag and busted it right in two at the ferral.
It also was one of those things like I felt like some one shot my dog. It was like a part of me and had been many miles with me.I thought I was over the trauma but you make this post and open a old wound again.I know how you feel any way.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
It's gone!!! Move on.....buy yourself a better one. ;) Things like that happen, all the time. Equipment is just a tool to better enjoy yourself while outdoors. It can be easily replaced. Bob

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My great uncle was hunting many years ago. He had bought himself a new ruger black hawk 44 mag. He was out in some deep brush and had the call of nature. So he takes the gun and rig off hangs it on a tree and does his thing.He then takes off to meet up with his son in law.
They hunt for a while when his son in law says hey where is your new ruger?They went back and found where he had hung the gun up and it was not there any more. Some one still has that old ruger and my old great uncle would grunt and mumble and pout for a hour if it got brought up until the day he died.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Like a bad kung fu movie...FOUND IT

Went hiking today and the water was down and look what was sticking out of the mud and algae about a hundred yards from where I lost it. I was hoping there was a carcass at the end of the line but it had been snapped off in some sticks. I scrubbed it with soap and water and took the reel apart and cleaned it with Break-Free. Now I need to put new line and it'll be good to go. I was so happy today, my kids got a kick out of it. hpzl;n;

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Reminds me of the time I hit a deep hydralic on the upper Presumpscot River and took a bad tumble out my canoe. I lost a 2 1/2" Model 19 in the falls. Took me three days to find it. Thank God it was nickle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts